Communities Also Named Balzac ...
We have found two communities that share the name Balzac.
Within Alberta, the name Balzac is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Garfield County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Colorado community of Balzac [Garfield County].
- Morgan County
- This Balzac is located in Morgan County and lies 900 miles [1,448.4 km]<2> to the southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Balzac
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Morgan County community of Balzac.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Balzac ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Coral Springs (8 miles [12.9 km] to the southeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coral Springs
- Coral Springs lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the southeast of Balzac
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coral Springs
- Forest Lawn (12 miles [19.3 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forest Lawn
- Forest Lawn lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the south of Balzac
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Forest Lawn came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forest Lawn
- Heritage Woods (14 miles [22.5 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heritage Woods
- Heritage Woods lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the southwest of Balzac
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heritage Woods
- Highwood (9 miles [14.5 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Highwood
- Highwood lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the south of Balzac
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Highwood
- Janet (15 miles [24.1 km] to the southeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Janet
- Janet lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the southeast of Balzac
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Janet came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Janet
- Signal Hill (15 miles [24.1 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Signal Hill
- Signal Hill lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Balzac
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Signal Hill
- Sunnyside (11 miles [17.7 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunnyside
- Sunnyside lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the south of Balzac
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunnyside
- Valley Ridge (13 miles [20.9 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Valley Ridge
- Valley Ridge lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the southwest of Balzac
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Valley Ridge
- Vista Heights (9 miles [14.5 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Vista Heights
- Vista Heights lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the south of Balzac
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vista Heights
How Far From Balzac to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Balzac to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Balzac and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 162 miles [260.7 km]<2> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Balzac to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 10 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,782 miles [2,867.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 102 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,400 miles [10,299.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,167 miles [11,534.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,241 miles [8,434.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Notable Births & Deaths for Balzac
Mentions & References for Balzac
Search for a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Balzac. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Balzac could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Balzac) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Balzac. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BalzacOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Balzac. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.2167, Longitude: -114.0167 |
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Balzac to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.208 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.002 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.895 degrees.||