Communities Also Named Alderson ...
We have found five communities that share the name Alderson.
Within Alberta, the name Alderson is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another five communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Fayette County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Illinois community of Alderson [Fayette County].
- Newaygo County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Michigan community of Alderson [Newaygo County].
- Pittsburg County
- This Alderson is located in Pittsburg County and lies 1,321 miles [2,125.9 km]<2> to the southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alderson
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Pittsburg County community of Alderson.
- Luzerne County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Pennsylvania community of Alderson [Luzerne County].
- West Virginia
- Greenbrier County
- This Alderson is located in Greenbrier County and lies 1,736 miles [2,793.8 km] to the east southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alderson
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Greenbrier County community of Alderson.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Alderson ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bow Island
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Goat
- Goat lies 28 miles [45.1 km] to the southwest of Alderson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Goat
- Grassy Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grassy Lake
- Grassy Lake lies 34 miles [54.7 km] to the southwest of Alderson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grassy Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hays
- Hays lies 31 miles [49.9 km] to the southwest of Alderson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hays
- Continue List (8 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Juno
- Juno lies 34 miles [54.7 km] to the south of Alderson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Juno
- Medicine Hat
- Rolling Hills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rolling Hills
- Rolling Hills lies 19 miles [30.6 km] to the west of Alderson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rolling Hills
- Seven Persons
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Seven Persons
- Seven Persons lies 34 miles [54.7 km] to the southeast of Alderson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Seven Persons
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sevenpersons
- Sevenpersons lies 34 miles [54.7 km] to the southeast of Alderson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sevenpersons
How Far From Alderson to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Alderson to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<3> community of Alderson once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Alderson and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 243 miles [391.1 km] to the north northwest (NNW). If you could drive a straight line from Alderson to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take nearly four hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 14 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 10 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,668 miles [2,684.4 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 66 days and walking would take 95 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,405 miles [10,307.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,174 miles [11,545.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,218 miles [8,397.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Alderson could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Alderson) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Alderson. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Alderson
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alderson. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.2799, Longitude: -111.3440
|<3>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Alderson, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Alderson to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.046 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.456 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.309 degrees.||