Curious and Interesting Names Near Acadia Valley ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Cereal (31 miles [49.9 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cereal
- Cereal lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<1> to the northwest of Acadia Valley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cereal came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cereal
- Empress (16 miles [25.7 km] to the southeast)
- Estuary (20 miles [32.2 km] to the southeast) - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Estuary
- Estuary was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southeast of Acadia Valley
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Estuary. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Excel (21 miles [33.8 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Excel
- Excel lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the northwest of Acadia Valley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Excel came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Excel
- Flaxcombe (33 miles [53.1 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Flaxcombe
- Flaxcombe lies 33 miles [53.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Acadia Valley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Flaxcombe came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Flaxcombe
- Leader (34 miles [54.7 km] to the southeast)
How Far From Acadia Valley to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Acadia Valley to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Acadia Valley and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 215 miles [346 km]<1> to the northwest (NW). If you could drive a straight line from Acadia Valley to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take nearly four hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 13 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 9 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,617 miles [2,602.3 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 64 days and walking would take 92 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,328 miles [10,183.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,097 miles [11,421.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,139 miles [8,270.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Acadia Valley
Search for a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Acadia Valley: www.mdacadia.ab.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Acadia Valley) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Acadia Valley. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Acadia ValleyOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Acadia Valley. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.1592, Longitude: -110.2090 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Acadia Valley to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.159 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 331.525 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.426 degrees.||