Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Himes, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Himes and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Himes:
- 44.714400, -108.182330
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Himes
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Himes ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Basin [Big Horn County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Basin
- Basin [Big Horn County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the south of Himes
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,257 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Basin
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Basin<2>
- Emblem [Big Horn County]
- Greybull [Big Horn County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greybull
- Greybull [Big Horn County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Himes
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,797 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greybull
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Greybull<2>
- Kane [Big Horn County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kane
- Kane [Big Horn County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the north of Himes
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kane have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Otto [Big Horn County]
- Shell [Big Horn County]
How Far From Himes to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Himes to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Himes and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Basin, which is the Seat of Big Horn County and lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the south southeast. If you could walk a straight line from Himes to Basin, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of a day.
- Cheyenne, which is the State Capital of Wyoming, lies 300 miles [482.8 km] to the southeast (SE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take five to six hours, a buggy would take 12 days and walking would take 17 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,641 miles [2,640.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 65 days and walking would take 94 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,668 miles [10,731.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,436 miles [11,967.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,416 miles [8,716.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Wyoming
About Big Horn County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Himes. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Himes) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Himes. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.7144, Longitude: -108.1823 In this case, the coordinates for Himes have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Himes to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 329.337 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 328.821 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.182 degrees.||