Welcome to Bryan ...
So far, we have found very little information about Bryan. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Bryan to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Bryan, please Contact Us.
Bryan would have been located within present day Sweetwater County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Bryan, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
When the people of Bryan referred to themselves (known as a demonym), they are believed to have used Bryanite<4>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Bryan is 6,180 feet [1,884 m] above sea level.<5> In other words, the altitude of Bryan is about 1¼ mile [or ~1¾ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Bryan was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Bryan would have been located in the (307) area code.
Adding Bryan to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Bryan in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Bryan was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Bryan on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Bryan ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 17 communities that are also named Bryan - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania (3), Texas (2) and West Virginia (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Bryan.
Communities near Bryan ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Bryan.
- Green River [Sweetwater County]
- Granger [Sweetwater County]
- Westvaco [Sweetwater County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Westvaco
- Westvaco [Sweetwater County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<6> to the northwest of Bryan
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Westvaco have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- James Town [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for James Town
- James Town [Sweetwater County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<6> to the east of Bryan
- Jump to Google Maps centered on James Town
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Little America [Sweetwater County]
- Purple Sage [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Purple Sage
- Purple Sage [Sweetwater County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<6> to the east of Bryan
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Purple Sage
- Clearview Acres [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clearview Acres
- Clearview Acres [Sweetwater County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<6> to the east of Bryan
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clearview Acres
- North Rock Springs [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for North Rock Springs
- North Rock Springs [Sweetwater County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<6> to the east of Bryan
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for North Rock Springs have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on North Rock Springs
- Quealy [Sweetwater County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Quealy
- Quealy [Sweetwater County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<6> to the east of Bryan
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Quealy
- Rock Springs [Sweetwater County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Bryan. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Bryan.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Bryan. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Bryan.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Bryan. See our Newspapers Page for Bryan.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Wyoming
About Sweetwater County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Sweetwater County: www.co.sweet.wy.us/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Bryan, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Wyoming's counties, including Sweetwater, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Bryan refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Bryan may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<5>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Bryan - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Bryan) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Bryan. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BryanOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Bryan. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.5700, Longitude: -109.6820 In this case, the coordinates for Bryan have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|