Our Genealogy Helper for Boysen ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Boysen (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Boysen. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Neighboring Counties ...
When searching for family records, we have frequently made the mistake of not checking the neighboring counties.
For example, we have great-grandparents who lived in the northwest corner of their home county. During their lives, most doctors were in the next county to the west. Almost all of the nearby churches and cemeteries were in the county to the north.
So when searching for records, we had our best success by looking in neighboring counties instead of the county in which they lived: their home county contained property and probate records; the county to the west contained birth and death records; the county to the north contained their burial records. If we hadn't included the neighboring counties, we would have missed many valuable sources of information.
If you're in a similar situation, we hope that the following information helps.
Boysen is located in Fremont County.
To see how the shape of Wyoming's counties have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Fremont County: Carbon, Hot Springs, Natrona, Park, Sublette, Sweetwater, Teton & Washakie.
Below are the counties that are near Boysen. For each of these counties, we show a sample of those communities that are closest to Boysen:
- Fremont County (The home county of Boysen)
- Shoshoni [Fremont County]
- Lysite [Fremont County]
- Pavillion [Fremont County]
- Riverton [Fremont County]
- Kinnear [Fremont County]
- Saint Stephens [Fremont County]
- Arapahoe [Fremont County]
- Hot Springs County
- East Thermopolis [Hot Springs County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for East Thermopolis
- East Thermopolis [Hot Springs County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the north of Boysen
- Population from the 2020 Census: 237 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for East Thermopolis have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on East Thermopolis
- Thermopolis [Hot Springs County]
- Lucerne [Hot Springs County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lucerne
- Lucerne [Hot Springs County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the north of Boysen
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lucerne
- Gebo [Hot Springs County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gebo
- Gebo [Hot Springs County] was located 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the north of Boysen
- Kirby [Hot Springs County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kirby
- Kirby [Hot Springs County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the north of Boysen
- Population from the 2020 Census: 84 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kirby
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Kirby<2>
- Hamilton Dome [Hot Springs County]
- Owl Creek [Hot Springs County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Owl Creek
- Owl Creek [Hot Springs County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the northwest of Boysen
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Owl Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Owl Creek
- Washakie County
- Winchester [Washakie County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Winchester
- Winchester [Washakie County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the north of Boysen
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Winchester have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Winchester
For an expanded list of the communities that are closest to Boysen, see our County-by-County Page for Boysen.
Newspapers Published in Boysen ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 37 newspapers that have been published in the area around Boysen.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of Boysen, there are papers which were published within 30 miles [48.3 km]. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for Boysen.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first turn to the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Boysen:
- Websites specific to Wyoming
- Pages specific to Fremont County
- Genealogy information for nearby counties
- Hot Springs County
- Washakie County
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Wyoming
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Wyoming
Cemeteries Near Boysen ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Boysen.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Boysen covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Riverside Cemetery
- Lake View Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lake View Cemetery
- Lake View Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the south of Boysen.
- Lake View Cemetery has also been known as:
- Shoshoni Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lake View Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #84060<4>
- Smoky Row Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Smoky Row Cemetery
- The Smoky Row Cemetery is located outside and to the northeast of Thermopolis.More accurately, Smoky Row Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the north of Boysen.
- Smoky Row Cemetery has also been known as:
- Smokey Row Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Smoky Row Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2157660<4>
- Milek Family Cemetery
- Monument Hill Cemetery
- Burnaugh Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Crosby Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Crosby Cemetery
- The Crosby Cemetery is located less than 2 miles<1> to the northeast of Kirby.More precisely, Crosby Cemetery lies 23 miles [37 km] to the north of Boysen.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crosby Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2157042<4>
- Gebo Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Gebo Cemetery
- The Gebo Cemetery is located 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the east of Kirby.To be more precise, Gebo Cemetery lies 24 miles [38.6 km] to the north of Boysen.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gebo Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2157048<4>
- David Schoening Gravesite
- Lost Cabin Cemetery
- Winchester Cemetery
Nearby Communities in 1895 ...
We've built the following list with information that came from an Atlas published by Rand McNally in 1895. The Atlas had details such as the population of the community (which appears to have come from the 1890 Census) and whether there was a post office and/or railroad service available. We also indicate if the community no longer exists and is now historic.<5>
While we didn't find Boysen in the Atlas, the following 1895 communities would have been found near the current location of Boysen.
- Lost Cabin [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lost Cabin
- Lost Cabin [Fremont County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the east of Boysen
- According to the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, the estimated population in 1895: 27 people
- From the 1895 Atlas, Lost Cabin had a post office and no railroad service
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lost Cabin have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lost Cabin
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Boysen. See our List of 1890's Communities around Boysen.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Wyoming
About Fremont County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Boysen. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Fremont County: www.fremontcounty.org/
The official website for State of Wyoming: www.wyo.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Boysen) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Boysen. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.4416, Longitude: -108.1732 In this case, the coordinates for Boysen have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Boysen, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|