Welcome to Stockton ...
The town of Stockton is located in Tooele County<1>.
The location of Stockton has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<2>
When the people of Stockton refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Stocktonian<3>
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Stockton has a population of 682 people<4> (see below for details).
We don't have a date for the establishment of Stockton.
Stockton is 5,020 feet [1,530 m] above sea level.<5> In other words, the elevation of Stockton is about 1 mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Stockton lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Stockton lies within the (435) area code.
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Stockton had an population of 682 people. This is an increase of 10.71% since the 2010 Census (or an increase of 53.95% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Stockton had a population of 616 people. This makes Stockton the county's 4th most populous community.
The population of Stockton represents 0.02% of the population of Utah (which has 2,763,885 people), making it the state's 167th most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 616 people, the population of Stockton increased 39.05% from the 2000 Census (which had a count of 443 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Stockton.
Communities Also Named Stockton ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 30 communities that are also named Stockton - they are located in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California (2), Delaware, Georgia (2), Illinois, Indiana (2), Iowa, Kansas, Manitoba, Maryland (3), Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Ontario, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee (2), Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Stockton.
Communities near Stockton ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Stockton.
- Herriman [Salt Lake County]
- Tooele [Tooele County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tooele
- Tooele [Tooele County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the northeast of Stockton
- Estimated population in 2019: 36,015 people
- Former name for Tooele:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tooele
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Tooele<7>
- Grantsville [Tooele County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grantsville
- Grantsville [Tooele County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<6> to the northwest of Stockton
- Estimated population in 2019: 12,064 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grantsville have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grantsville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Grantsville<7>
- Copperton [Salt Lake County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Copperton
- Copperton [Salt Lake County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<6> to the northeast of Stockton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Copperton
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Rush Valley [Tooele County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rush Valley
- Rush Valley [Tooele County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<6> to the southwest of Stockton
- Estimated population in 2019: 494 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rush Valley have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rush Valley
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Rush Valley<7>
- Cedar Fort [Utah County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cedar Fort
- Cedar Fort [Utah County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<6> to the southeast of Stockton
- Estimated population in 2019: 395 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cedar Fort
- Fairfield [Utah County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fairfield
- Fairfield [Utah County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<6> to the southeast of Stockton
- Estimated population in 2019: 145 people
- Former names for Fairfield:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fairfield
- Ophir [Tooele County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ophir
- Ophir [Tooele County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<6> to the southeast of Stockton
- Estimated population in 2017: 57 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ophir
- Gisborn [Tooele County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gisborn
- Gisborn [Tooele County] was located 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the southeast of Stockton
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Gisborn. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Jacob City [Tooele County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jacob City
- Jacob City [Tooele County] was located 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the southeast of Stockton
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Jacob City. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Stockton. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Stockton.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Stockton. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Stockton.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Stockton. See our Newspapers Page for Stockton.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Stockton ...
Looking for more information about Stockton? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Stockton, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Stockton.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Utah
About Tooele County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Stockton. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Tooele County: www.co.tooele.ut.us/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Tooele, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Stockton refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a town's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Stockton may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<4>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Stockton.|
|<5>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Stockton - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Stockton) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Stockton. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Stockton
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Stockton. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 40.4497, Longitude: -112.3671 In this case, the coordinates for Stockton have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|