Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Low, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Low and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Low:
- 40.785463, -112.940023
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Low
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Tooele County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Tooele County
- Since Low is near Box Elder County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Box Elder County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Low ...
We have found two communities that share the name Low.
Within Utah, the name Low is unique.
Beyond Utah, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States and Canada. Of these two communities, one is located in the United States and the other in Canada.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Harlan County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Kentucky community of Low [Harlan County].
- This Low lies 1,873 miles [3,014.3 km]<2> to the east northeast of the Low that is located in Tooele County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Low
Curious and Interesting Names Near Low ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Aragonite [Tooele County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aragonite
- Aragonite [Tooele County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the southwest of Low
- Aragonite has also been known as:
- Hastings Pass
- Dolomite [Tooele County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dolomite
- Dolomite [Tooele County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the east of Low
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dolomite have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dolomite
- Flux [Tooele County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Flux
- Flux [Tooele County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the east of Low
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Flux have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Flux
- Grantsville [Tooele County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grantsville
- Grantsville [Tooele County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Low
- Population from the 2020 Census: 12,409 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grantsville have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grantsville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Grantsville<4>
- Rush Valley [Tooele County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rush Valley
- Rush Valley [Tooele County] lies 38 miles [61.2 km]<2> to the southeast of Low
- Population from the 2020 Census: 490 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rush Valley have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rush Valley
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Rush Valley<4>
How Far From Low to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Low to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<5> community of Low once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Low and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Tooele, which is the Seat of Tooele County and lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<2> to the east southeast. If you could walk a straight line from Low to Tooele, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take over two days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just about two full days.
- Salt Lake City, which is the State Capital of Utah, lies 54 miles [86.9 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than an hour, a buggy would take over two days and walking would take most of three days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,894 miles [3,048.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 74 days and walking would take 108 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,022 miles [11,300.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,791 miles [12,538.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,778 miles [9,298.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Utah
About Tooele County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Tooele County: www.co.tooele.ut.us/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Low could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Low) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Low. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from LowOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Low. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 40.7855, Longitude: -112.9400 In this case, the coordinates for Low have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Low, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Low to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.755 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.468 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.379 degrees.||