Welcome to Independence ...
So far, we have found very little information about Independence. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Independence to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Independence, please Contact Us.
Independence would have been located within present day Uintah County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Independence, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Independence is 4,950 feet [1,509 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of Independence is about 1 mile [or 1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Independence was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Independence would have been located in the (435) area code.
Communities Also Named Independence ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are two Utah communities named Independence: This one is located in Uintah County and the other is located in Wasatch County.
Beyond Utah, there are 50 communities that are also named Independence - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, California (2), Colorado (3), Idaho, Illinois, Indiana (2), Iowa, Kansas (2), Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota (2), Mississippi (2), Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota (2), Ohio (2), Oklahoma (2), Oregon, Pennsylvania (3), Tennessee (3), Texas (2), Virginia, Washington (2), West Virginia (4) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Independence.
Communities near Independence ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Independence.
- Roosevelt [Duchesne County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Roosevelt
- Roosevelt [Duchesne County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the northwest of Independence
- Population from the 2020 Census: 7,261 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Roosevelt
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Roosevelt<6>
- Ballard [Uintah County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ballard
- Ballard [Uintah County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<5> to the north of Independence
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,105 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ballard
- Myton [Duchesne County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Myton
- Myton [Duchesne County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the southwest of Independence
- Population from the 2020 Census: 602 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Myton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Myton<6>
- Fort Duchesne [Uintah County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Randlett [Uintah County]
- Gusher [Uintah County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gusher
- Gusher [Uintah County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the northeast of Independence
- Former names for Gusher:
- Sober City
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gusher
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Gusher<6>
- Bennett [Uintah County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bennett
- Bennett [Uintah County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the north of Independence
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bennett
- Cedarview [Duchesne County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cedarview
- Cedarview [Duchesne County] was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the northwest of Independence
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cedarview have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Ioka [Duchesne County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ioka
- Ioka [Duchesne County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the west of Independence
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ioka have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ioka
- Hayden [Uintah County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hayden
- Hayden [Uintah County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the north of Independence
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hayden
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Independence. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Independence.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Independence. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Independence.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Independence. See our Newspapers Page for Independence.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Utah Community
About Uintah County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Uintah County: www.co.uintah.ut.us/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Independence, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Uintah, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Independence - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Independence) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Independence. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from IndependenceOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Independence. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 40.2479, Longitude: -109.9349 In this case, the coordinates for Independence have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|