Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Brian Head, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Brian Head and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Brian Head:
- 37.698099, -112.845137
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Brian Head
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Brian Head ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Cedar City [Iron County]
- Desert Mound [Iron County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Desert Mound
- Desert Mound [Iron County] was located 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the west of Brian Head
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Desert Mound have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Duck Creek Village [Kane County]
- Hamiltons Fort [Iron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hamiltons Fort
- Hamiltons Fort [Iron County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the west of Brian Head
- Former names for Hamiltons Fort:
- Fort Hamblin
- Fort Sidon
- Fort Walker
- Shirts Creek
- Hamiltons Fort has also been known as:
- Hamilton Fort
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hamiltons Fort
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Hatch [Garfield County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hatch
- Hatch [Garfield County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the east of Brian Head
- Estimated population in 2019: 142 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hatch have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hatch
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Hatch<2>
- Iron Springs [Iron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Iron Springs
- Iron Springs [Iron County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the west of Brian Head
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Iron Springs have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Iron Springs
- Long Valley Junction [Kane County]
- Navajo lake Lodge [Kane County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Navajo lake Lodge
- Navajo lake Lodge [Kane County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the south of Brian Head
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Navajo lake Lodge have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Navajo lake Lodge
- Wheatgrass [Iron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wheatgrass
- Wheatgrass [Iron County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the north of Brian Head
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wheatgrass have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wheatgrass
How Far From Brian Head to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Brian Head to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Brian Head and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Parowan, which is the Seat of Iron County and lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the north. If you could walk a straight line from Brian Head to Parowan, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take four to five hours to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take a little over three hours.
- Salt Lake City, which is the State Capital of Utah, lies 217 miles [349.2 km] to the north northeast (NNE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take nearly four hours, a buggy would take 9 days and walking would take 13 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,929 miles [3,104.4 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 76 days and walking would take 110 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,209 miles [11,601.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,977 miles [12,837.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,944 miles [9,565.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Utah
About Iron County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Brian Head: brianheadtown.utah.gov/
The official website for Iron County: www.ironnet.org/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Brian Head) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Brian Head. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Brian Head
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Brian Head. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.6981, Longitude: -112.8451
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Brian Head to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.35 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 331.73 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.493 degrees.||