Welcome to Avon ...
Although we found mention of Avon during our research, we have little information about it.<1> Given the context of how Avon was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Avon to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Avon, please Contact Us.
Avon is 5,170 feet [1,576 m] above sea level.<2> In other words, the altitude of Avon is about 1 mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Avon might be (or was) located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Note: If you leave Avon and travel west, you will leave Mountain Time and cross into the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT).
We believe that Avon would be found within the (435) area code.
Communities Also Named Avon ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are two Utah communities named Avon: This one is located in Iron County and the other is located in Cache County.
Beyond Utah, there are 40 communities that are also named Avon - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, California (2), Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas (2), Kentucky (2), Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri (3), Montana, New Brunswick, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Ontario (3), Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Avon.
Communities near Avon ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Avon.
- Enoch [Iron County]
- Lund [Iron County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lund
- Lund [Iron County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the northwest of Avon
- Zane [Iron County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Zane
- Zane [Iron County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the west of Avon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Zane have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Zane has also been known as:
- Beryl [Iron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beryl
- Beryl [Iron County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the west of Avon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beryl
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Fort Johnson [Iron County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fort Johnson
- Fort Johnson [Iron County] was located 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the southeast of Avon
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fort Johnson have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Johnson's Fort [Iron County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Johnson's Fort
- Johnson's Fort [Iron County] was located 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the southeast of Avon
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Johnson's Fort. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Johnson's Fort has also been known as:
- Johnson Springs
- Newcastle [Iron County]
- Old Irontown [Iron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Old Irontown
- Old Irontown [Iron County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<3> to the south of Avon
- Old Irontown has also been known as:
- Iron City
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Old Irontown
- Beryl Junction [Iron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beryl Junction
- Beryl Junction [Iron County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<3> to the southwest of Avon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beryl Junction
- Cedar City [Iron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cedar City
- Cedar City [Iron County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<3> to the southeast of Avon
- Estimated population in 2019: 34,764 people
- Former names for Cedar City:
- Coal Creek
- Little Muddy
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cedar City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Cedar City<4>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Avon. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Avon.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Avon. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Avon.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Avon. See our Newspapers Page for Avon.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Avon ...
Looking for more information about Avon? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Avon, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Avon.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Utah
About Iron County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Iron County: www.ironnet.org/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Avon and then turned west". While Avon could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Avon as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Avon could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Avon - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Avon) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Avon. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Avon
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Avon. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.8942, Longitude: -113.3501
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|