Welcome to Old Irontown ...
Old Irontown is located in Iron County<1>.
Old Irontown was established in 1868.
The community of Old Irontown has also been called Iron City. and Irontown. For more information about the names of Old Irontown, see The Names of Old Irontown on our Genealogy Page.
Old Irontown is 5,840 feet [1,780 m] above sea level.<2> In other words, the altitude of Old Irontown is about 1¼ mile [or ~1¾ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Old Irontown lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Note: If you travel west from Old Irontown (for example, toward Caliente (NV)), you will leave Mountain Time and cross into the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT).
Old Irontown is within the (435) area code.
Communities near Old Irontown ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Old Irontown.
- Enterprise [Washington County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Enterprise
- Enterprise [Washington County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the west of Old Irontown
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,970 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Enterprise
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Enterprise<4>
- Kanarraville [Iron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kanarraville
- Kanarraville [Iron County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<3> to the east of Old Irontown
- Population from the 2020 Census: 410 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kanarraville have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kanarraville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Kanarraville<4>
- New Harmony [Washington County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for New Harmony
- New Harmony [Washington County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the southeast of Old Irontown
- Population from the 2020 Census: 236 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on New Harmony
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for New Harmony<4>
- Pinto [Washington County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pinto
- Pinto [Washington County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<3> to the southwest of Old Irontown
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pinto
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Newcastle [Iron County]
- Hamblin [Washington County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hamblin
- Hamblin [Washington County] was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the southwest of Old Irontown
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Hamblin. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Holt [Washington County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Holt
- Holt [Washington County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the west of Old Irontown
- Beryl Junction [Iron County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beryl Junction
- Beryl Junction [Iron County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<3> to the northwest of Old Irontown
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beryl Junction
- Mountain Meadows [Washington County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mountain Meadows
- Mountain Meadows [Washington County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<3> to the southwest of Old Irontown
- Fort Harmony [Washington County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fort Harmony
- Fort Harmony [Washington County] was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the southeast of Old Irontown
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Old Irontown. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Old Irontown.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Old Irontown. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Old Irontown.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Old Irontown. See our Newspapers Page for Old Irontown.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Old Irontown ...
Looking for more information about Old Irontown? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Old Irontown, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Old Irontown.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Utah
About Iron County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Old Irontown. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Iron County: www.ironnet.org/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Iron, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Old Irontown - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Old Irontown) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Old Irontown. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Old IrontownOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Old Irontown. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.6013, Longitude: -113.4487 |
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|