Welcome to Austin (aka 'Frog Town') ...
Austin is located in Sevier County<1>.
When the people of Austin<2> refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Austinite<3>
Austin was settled in 1875.
Austin was originally named Willow Bend.
Austin is 5,300 feet [1,615 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Austin is 1 mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Austin lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
The area code for Austin: (435)
Communities Also Named Austin ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 42 communities that are also named Austin - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas (3), California, Colorado (2), Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas (2), Kentucky, Manitoba, Michigan (4), Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri (2), Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New York (2), North Carolina, Ohio, Ontario, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Quebec, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee (2), Texas, Washington (2) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Austin.
Communities near Austin ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Austin.
- Richfield [Sevier County]
- Aurora [Sevier County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aurora
- Aurora [Sevier County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the northeast of Austin
- Estimated population in 2018: 1,049 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aurora
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Aurora<6>
- Annabella [Sevier County]
- Kanosh [Millard County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Glenwood [Sevier County]
- Sigurd [Sevier County]
- Marysvale [Piute County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Marysvale have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marysvale
- Marysvale [Piute County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the southwest of Austin
- Estimated population in 2018: 418 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marysvale
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Marysvale<6>
- Joseph [Sevier County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Joseph have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Joseph
- Joseph [Sevier County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Austin
- Estimated population in 2018: 356 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Joseph
- Koosharem [Sevier County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Koosharem have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Koosharem
- Koosharem [Sevier County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<5> to the southeast of Austin
- Estimated population in 2018: 332 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Koosharem
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Koosharem<6>
- Kimberly [Piute County] - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Kimberly. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kimberly
- Kimberly [Piute County] was located 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the southwest of Austin
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Austin. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Austin.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Austin. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Austin.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Austin. See our Newspapers Page for Austin.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Austin ...
Looking for more information about Austin? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Austin, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Austin.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Utah
About Sevier County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Austin. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Sevier County: www.sevierutah.net/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Sevier, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||Austin is also known as Frog Town. For more information, please visit our Genealogy Helper Page for Austin.|
|<3>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Austin refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Austin may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Austin - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Austin) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Austin. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Austin
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Austin. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.6724, Longitude: -112.1210
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|