Welcome to Ajax ...
So far, we have found very little information about Ajax. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Ajax to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Ajax, please Contact Us.
Ajax would have been located within present day Tooele County<2>.
Ajax was settled in 1863.
The origin (or the toponymy) of Ajax: Named after William Ajax (1832-1899), an early settler who founded and operated the Ajax Underground Store.
The community of Ajax was previously named Center.
Time Zone: The area where Ajax was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
If Ajax still existed, it would have been in the (435) area code.
Adding Ajax to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Ajax in the GNIS. For more information, see the Referenced GNIS Codes section on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Ajax was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Ajax on a map titled .
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Ajax on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Ajax ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 10 communities that are also named Ajax - they are located in Kentucky, Louisiana, Ontario, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas (2), Virginia and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Ajax.
Communities near Ajax ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Ajax.
- Stockton [Tooele County]
- Rush Valley [Tooele County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rush Valley
- Rush Valley [Tooele County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the north of Ajax
- Estimated population in 2019: 494 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rush Valley have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rush Valley
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Rush Valley<4>
- Cedar Fort [Utah County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cedar Fort
- Cedar Fort [Utah County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<3> to the east of Ajax
- Estimated population in 2019: 395 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cedar Fort
- Vernon [Tooele County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Fairfield [Utah County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fairfield
- Fairfield [Utah County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<3> to the east of Ajax
- Estimated population in 2019: 145 people
- Former name for Fairfield:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fairfield
- Ophir [Tooele County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ophir
- Ophir [Tooele County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Ajax
- Estimated population in 2017: 57 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ophir
- Faust [Tooele County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Faust
- Faust [Tooele County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the south of Ajax
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Faust have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Clover [Tooele County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clover
- Clover [Tooele County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northwest of Ajax
- Former names for Clover:
- Johnson's Settlement
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clover
- La Cigale [Tooele County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for La Cigale
- La Cigale [Tooele County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the northeast of Ajax
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for La Cigale. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- La Cigale has also been known as:
- West Dip [Tooele County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for West Dip
- West Dip [Tooele County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the northeast of Ajax
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for West Dip have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- West Dip has also been known as:
- West Mercur
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Ajax. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Ajax.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Ajax. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Ajax.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Ajax. See our Newspapers Page for Ajax.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Utah
About Tooele County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Tooele County: www.co.tooele.ut.us/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Ajax, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Tooele, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Ajax) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Ajax. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AjaxOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ajax. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 40.2523, Longitude: -112.3971 |
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|