Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Zybach, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Zybach and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Zybach:
- 35.6192129, -100.1906770
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Zybach
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Zybach ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Canadian [Hemphill County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Canadian
- Canadian [Hemphill County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Zybach
- Population from the 2020 Census: 2,677 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Canadian
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Canadian<2>
- Clear Creek [Hemphill County]
- Gem [Hemphill County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gem
- Gem [Hemphill County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the north of Zybach
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gem have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gem
- Magic City [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Magic City
- Magic City [Wheeler County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southwest of Zybach
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Magic City have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Magic City
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Meridian [Roger Mills County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Meridian
- Meridian [Roger Mills County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Zybach
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Meridian have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Meridian
- Springers Ranch [Hemphill County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Springers Ranch
- Springers Ranch [Hemphill County] was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the north of Zybach
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Springers Ranch have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Sweetwater [Beckham County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sweetwater
- Sweetwater [Beckham County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southeast of Zybach
- Population from the 2020 Census: 82 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sweetwater have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sweetwater
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sweetwater<2>
- Twitty [Wheeler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Twitty
- Twitty [Wheeler County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the south of Zybach
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Twitty
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Zybach. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Captain Alan LaVern Bean (Astronaut - Skylab 2, USN, test pilot, aeronautical engineer, painter)
- Full name: Alan LaVern Bean
- Astronaut - Skylab 2, USN, test pilot, aeronautical engineer, painter. He was born in Wheeler (TX) on March 15, 1932 (a Tueday) and died in Houston (TX) on May 26, 2018 (a Saturday) at the age of 86. He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery (Arlington County, Virginia).
- Wheeler is located 12 miles [19.3 km] to the south of Zybach.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Captain Alan LaVern Bean<4>
- Billy 'The Canadian Comet' Cross (Professional football)
How Far From Zybach to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Zybach to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<5> community of Zybach once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Zybach and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Wheeler, which is the Seat of Wheeler County and lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the south southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Zybach to Wheeler, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take nearly four hours.
- Austin, which is the State Capital of Texas, lies 395 miles [635.7 km] to the south southeast (SSE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of a day, a buggy would take 16 days and walking would take 23 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,288 miles [2,072.8 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 51 days and walking would take 74 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,952 miles [11,188.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,701 miles [12,393.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,594 miles [9,002.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Texas
About Wheeler County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Texas: https://texas.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Zybach) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Zybach. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from ZybachOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Zybach. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.6192, Longitude: -100.1907 |
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Zybach, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Zybach to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 322.615 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 319.979 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 315.939 degrees.||