Curious and Interesting Names Near Whitkow ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Highgate
- Highgate lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the west of Whitkow
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Highgate came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Highgate
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lakeview
- Lakeview lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the west of Whitkow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lakeview
- Oscar Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oscar Lake
- Oscar Lake lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the east of Whitkow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oscar Lake
- Pelican Point
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pelican Point
- Pelican Point lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the west of Whitkow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pelican Point
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Prince
- Prince lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the west of Whitkow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Prince
- Rabbit Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rabbit Lake
- Rabbit Lake lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the north of Whitkow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rabbit Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richard
- Richard lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the southeast of Whitkow
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Richard came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Richard
- Sleepy Hollow
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sleepy Hollow
- Sleepy Hollow lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the northwest of Whitkow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sleepy Hollow
- Spruce Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spruce Bay
- Spruce Bay lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the north of Whitkow
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Spruce Bay came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spruce Bay
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Whitkow. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Ron 'Atch' Atchison (Professional football)
How Far From Whitkow to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Whitkow to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Whitkow and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Regina, which is the Provincial Capital of Saskatchewan, lies 221 miles [355.7 km]<1> to the southeast (SE). If you could drive a straight line from Whitkow to Regina, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take nearly four hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 13 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 9 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,526 miles [2,455.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 60 days and walking would take 87 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,172 miles [9,932.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,941 miles [11,170.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,981 miles [8,016.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Saskatchewan
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Whitkow. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Saskatchewan: www.saskatchewan.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Whitkow) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Whitkow. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from WhitkowOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Whitkow. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.9401, Longitude: -107.8663 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Whitkow to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 329.308 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 329.599 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 317.548 degrees.||