Welcome to Amos ...
So far, we have found very little information about Amos. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Amos to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Amos, please Contact Us.
Amos would have been located within present day Lane County<2>.
The location of Amos has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Amos is 980 feet [299 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: The area where Amos was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Amos would have been located in the (541) and (458)<5> area codes.
Communities Also Named Amos ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 11 communities that are also named Amos - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, California, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Nevada, Quebec, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Amos.
Communities near Amos ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Amos.
- Cottage Grove [Lane County]
- Sutherlin [Douglas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sutherlin
- Sutherlin [Douglas County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<6> to the southwest of Amos
- Estimated population in 2019: 8,184 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sutherlin have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sutherlin
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sutherlin<7>
- Drain [Douglas County]
- Yoncalla [Douglas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Yoncalla
- Yoncalla [Douglas County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<6> to the west of Amos
- Estimated population in 2019: 1,096 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Yoncalla have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yoncalla
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Yoncalla<7>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Oakland [Douglas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oakland
- Oakland [Douglas County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<6> to the southwest of Amos
- Estimated population in 2019: 954 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Oakland have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oakland
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Oakland<7>
- Curtin [Douglas County]
- Divide [Lane County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Divide
- Divide [Lane County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<6> to the north of Amos
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Divide. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Rice Hill [Douglas County]
- Culp Creek [Lane County]
- Dorena [Lane County] - Historic
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Amos. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Amos.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Amos. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Amos.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Amos. See our Newspapers Page for Amos.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Oregon
About Lane County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Lane County: www.lanecounty.org/
The official website for State of Oregon: https://www.oregon.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Amos, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Oregon's counties, including Lane, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Amos - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Area code (458) is an overlay for area code (541).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Amos) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Amos. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.6082, Longitude: -123.0845 In this case, the coordinates for Amos have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|