Welcome to Drain ...
The city of Drain is located in Douglas County<1>.
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Drain has a population of 1,198 people<2> (see below for details).
We don't have a date for the establishment of Drain.
Drain is 280 feet [85 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: Drain lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Telephone area codes for Drain: (541) & (458)<4>
The ZIP code for Drain: 97435<5>
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Drain had an population of 1,198 people. This is an increase of 4.08% since the 2010 Census (or an increase of 17.34% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Drain had a population of 1,151 people. This makes Drain the county's 8th most populous community.
The population of Drain represents 0.03% of the total population of Oregon (which has 3,831,074 people), making it the state's 151st most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 1,151 people, the population of Drain increased 12.73% from the 2000 Census (with a count of 1,021 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Drain.
Communities near Drain ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Drain.
- Cottage Grove [Lane County]
- Sutherlin [Douglas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sutherlin
- Sutherlin [Douglas County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<6> to the south of Drain
- Population from the 2020 Census: 8,227 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sutherlin have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sutherlin
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sutherlin<7>
- Yoncalla [Douglas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Yoncalla
- Yoncalla [Douglas County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<6> to the south of Drain
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,102 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Yoncalla have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yoncalla
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Yoncalla<7>
- Oakland [Douglas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oakland
- Oakland [Douglas County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<6> to the south of Drain
- Population from the 2020 Census: 954 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Oakland have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oakland
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Oakland<7>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Elkton [Douglas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elkton
- Elkton [Douglas County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<6> to the west of Drain
- Population from the 2020 Census: 198 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elkton have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elkton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Elkton<7>
- Curtin [Douglas County]
- Rice Hill [Douglas County]
- Divide [Lane County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Divide
- Divide [Lane County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<6> to the northeast of Drain
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Divide. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<9>
- Lorane [Lane County]
- Old Town [Douglas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Old Town
- Old Town [Douglas County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<6> to the south of Drain
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Old Town have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Old Town
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Drain. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Drain.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Drain. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Drain.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Drain. Our list includes 4 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Drain.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Drain ...
Looking for more information about Drain? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Drain, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Drain.
Adding Drain to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Drain in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Drain was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Drain
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Drain on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Oregon
About Douglas County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Drain. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Douglas County: www.co.douglas.or.us/
The official website for State of Oregon: https://www.oregon.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Oregon's counties, including Douglas, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Drain.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Drain - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Area code (458) is an overlay for area code (541).|
|<5>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Drain). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Drain or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Drain) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Drain. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from DrainOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Drain. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.6602, Longitude: -123.3182 |
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<9>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|