Welcome to Alville ...
So far, we have found very little information about Alville. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Alville to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Alville, please Contact Us.
Alville would have been located within present day Gilliam County<2>.
The location of Alville has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Alville is 2,710 feet [826 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of Alville is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Alville was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
If Alville still existed, it would have been in the (541) & (458)<5> area codes.
Communities near Alville ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Alville.
- Condon [Gilliam County]
- Mayville [Gilliam County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mayville
- Mayville [Gilliam County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<6> to the southeast of Alville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mayville
- Kent [Sherman County]
- Rosebush [Sherman County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rosebush
- Rosebush [Sherman County] was located 18 miles [29 km]<6> to the west of Alville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rosebush have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Fossil [Wheeler County]
- De Moss Springs [Sherman County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for De Moss Springs
- De Moss Springs [Sherman County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<6> to the northwest of Alville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on De Moss Springs
- Grass Valley [Sherman County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grass Valley
- Grass Valley [Sherman County] lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<6> to the west of Alville
- Estimated population in 2019: 165 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grass Valley have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grass Valley
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Grass Valley<7>
- Gordon [Sherman County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gordon
- Gordon [Sherman County] was located 23 miles [37 km]<6> to the northwest of Alville
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Gordon. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Moro [Sherman County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Moro
- Moro [Sherman County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<6> to the northwest of Alville
- Estimated population in 2019: 328 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Moro
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Moro<7>
- Klondike [Sherman County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Klondike
- Klondike [Sherman County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<6> to the northwest of Alville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Klondike
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Alville. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Alville.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Alville. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Alville.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Alville. See our Newspapers Page for Alville.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Oregon
About Gilliam County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Oregon: https://www.oregon.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Alville, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Oregon's counties, including Gilliam, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Alville - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Area code (458) is an overlay for area code (541).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Alville) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alville. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.2954, Longitude: -120.3345 In this case, the coordinates for Alville have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|