Welcome to Oil City ...
Time Zone: Oil City lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
Telephone area codes for Oil City: (519) & (226)<1>
The Canadian Postal Code for Oil City: N0N<2>
Communities Also Named Oil City ...
Using our Gazetteer, we found that there are 19 communities that are also named Oil City - they are located in Alberta, California, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma (2), Ontario, Pennsylvania (2), Texas, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Oil City.
Communities near Oil City ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Oil City.
- Port Huron
- New Baltimore
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for New Baltimore
- New Baltimore lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<3> to the southwest of Oil City.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 12,281 people
- Former names for New Baltimore:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on New Baltimore
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for New Baltimore<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richmond
- Richmond lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the west of Oil City.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 5,800 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Richmond have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Richmond
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Richmond<4>
- New Haven
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for New Haven
- New Haven lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the west of Oil City.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 5,061 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for New Haven have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former names for New Haven:
- New Baltimore Station
- New Haven Station
- Jump to Google Maps centered on New Haven
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for New Haven<4>
- Marine City
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marine City
- Marine City lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the south of Oil City.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 4,035 people
- Former names for Marine City:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marine City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Marine City<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Algonac
- Algonac lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<3> to the south of Oil City.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 4,034 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Algonac have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Algonac
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Algonac<4>
- Point Edward
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Point Edward
- Point Edward lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<3> to the north of Oil City.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Point Edward came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Point Edward
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Point Edward<4>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Oil City. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Oil City.
We have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Oil City. See our Newspapers Page for Oil City.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Oil City ...
Looking for more information about Oil City? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Oil City, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Oil City.
Adding Oil City to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
The earliest source that we've referenced which mentioned Oil City was on a map titled Road Map for Ontario (from Shell Oil, 1955).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Oil City.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Oil City. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||Area code (226) is an overlay for area code (519).|
|<2>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Oil City, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Oil City). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Oil City or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Oil City) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Oil City. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Oil CityOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Oil City. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.8174, Longitude: -82.4660 |
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|