Welcome to Algonac ...
The city of Algonac is located in Saint Clair County<1>.
While we don't have a date for the founding of Algonac, you might consider that their post office opened in 1843.
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Algonac has a population of 4,042 people<2> (see below for details).
Algonac is 580 feet [177 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: Algonac lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
Algonac is within the boundaries of the (810) area code.
The ZIP code for Algonac: 48001<4>
Websites for Algonac ...
Official Website: www.algonac-mi.gov/
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Algonac had an population of 4,042 people. This is a decrease of 1.65% since the 2010 Census (or a decrease of 12.38% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Algonac had a population of 4,110 people. This makes Algonac the county's 5th most populous community.
The population of Algonac represents 0.04% of the population of Michigan (which has 9,883,640 people), making it the state's 166th most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 4,110 people, the population of Algonac decreased 10.9% from the 2000 Census (with a count of 4,613 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Algonac.
Communities near Algonac ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Algonac.
- Mount Clemens
(17 miles [27.4 km] to the west)
- Mount Clemens is located in Macomb County
- Population from the 2020 Census: 16,013 people
- Former names for Mount Clemens:
- Big Springs
- High Banks
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mount Clemens
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Mount Clemens
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Mount Clemens <5>
- New Baltimore
(10 miles [16.1 km] to the west)
- New Baltimore is located in Macomb County
- Population from the 2020 Census: 12,281 people
- Former names for New Baltimore:
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for New Baltimore
- Jump to a Google Map centered on New Baltimore
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for New Baltimore <5>
(17 miles [27.4 km] to the northwest)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Richmond have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Richmond is located in Macomb County
- Population from the 2020 Census: 5,800 people
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richmond
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Richmond
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Richmond <5>
- Saint Clair
(14 miles [22.5 km] to the north)
- New Haven
(15 miles [24.1 km] to the northwest)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for New Haven have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- New Haven is located in Macomb County
- Population from the 2020 Census: 5,061 people
- Former names for New Haven:
- New Baltimore Station
- New Haven Station
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for New Haven
- Jump to a Google Map centered on New Haven
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for New Haven <5>
- Marine City
(7 miles [11.3 km] to the north)
- Marine City is located in Saint Clair County
- Population from the 2020 Census: 4,035 people
- Former names for Marine City:
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marine City
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Marine City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Marine City <5>
- Broadbridge Station
(4 miles [6.4 km] to the north)
- Broadbridge Station is located in Saint Clair County
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Broadbridge Station
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Broadbridge Station
- Starville ‑ Historic
(4 miles [6.4 km] to the northwest)
- Starville is located in Saint Clair County
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Starville
- Perch Point
(5 miles [8 km] to the northwest)
- Perch Point is located in Saint Clair County
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Perch Point
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Perch Point
(6 miles [9.7 km] to the northeast)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Thornyhurst came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Thornyhurst
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Thornyhurst
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Algonac. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Algonac.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Algonac. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Algonac.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Algonac. See our Newspapers Page for Algonac.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Algonac ...
Looking for more information about Algonac? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Algonac, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Algonac.
Adding Algonac to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Algonac in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
From our notes, the earliest published mention we've found for Algonac was on a map titled Road Map for Michigan (from Shell Oil, 1956).
We also found Algonac in the book titled .<8> From that list, the Algonac post office opened in 1843.
For more details, see References and Mentions for Algonac.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Algonac: www.algonac-mi.gov/
The official website for Saint Clair County: www.stclaircounty.org/
The official website for State of Michigan: https://www.michigan.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Michigan's counties, including Saint Clair, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Algonac.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Algonac - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Algonac). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Algonac or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<8>||A copy of their list with background information can be found at:|