Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Boles Acres, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Boles Acres and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Boles Acres:
- 32.807104, -105.983936
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Boles Acres
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Otero County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Otero County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Boles Acres ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Crisp [Otero County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crisp
- Crisp [Otero County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the east of Boles Acres
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Crisp have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crisp
- Dunes [Otero County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dunes
- Dunes [Otero County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the south of Boles Acres
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dunes have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dunes
- High Rolls [Otero County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for High Rolls
- High Rolls [Otero County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the northeast of Boles Acres
- Jump to Google Maps centered on High Rolls
- Marcia [Otero County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marcia
- Marcia [Otero County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the east of Boles Acres
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Marcia have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marcia
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Mayhill [Otero County]
- Mountain Park [Otero County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mountain Park
- Mountain Park [Otero County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the northeast of Boles Acres
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mountain Park
- Silver Springs [Otero County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Silver Springs
- Silver Springs [Otero County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the northeast of Boles Acres
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Silver Springs have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Silver Springs
- Sunspot [Otero County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunspot
- Sunspot [Otero County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the east of Boles Acres
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunspot
- Weed [Otero County]
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Boles Acres. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Jan Clayton (Actress)
- Actress. She was born in Tularosa (NM) on August 26, 1917 (a Sunday) and died in West Hollywood (CA) on August 28, 1983 (a Sunday) at the age of 66. She is buried at Fairview Cemetery (Otero County, New Mexico).
- Tularosa is located 18 miles [29 km] to the north of Boles Acres.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Jan Clayton<4>
- Bill Bauldin (Cartoonist)
How Far From Boles Acres to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Boles Acres to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Boles Acres and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Alamogordo, which is the Seat of Otero County and lies just to the North Northeast.
- Santa Fe, which is the State Capital of New Mexico, lies 198 miles [318.7 km]<1> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Boles Acres to Santa Fe, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 12 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,666 miles [2,681.2 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 65 days and walking would take 95 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,302 miles [11,751.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,058 miles [12,968.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,961 miles [9,593.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in New Mexico
About Otero County
About New Mexico
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Boles Acres. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Otero County: www.co.otero.nm.us/
The official website for State of New Mexico: www.newmexico.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Boles Acres) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Boles Acres. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Boles AcresOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Boles Acres. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 32.8071, Longitude: -105.9839 |
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Boles Acres to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 326.409 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 324.158 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.018 degrees.||