Welcome to Anniston ...
So far, we have found very little information about Anniston. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Anniston to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Anniston, please Contact Us.
Anniston would have been located within present day Quay County<2>.
The location of Anniston has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
When the people of Anniston referred to themselves (known as a demonym), they are believed to have used Annistonian<4>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Anniston is 3,780 feet [1,152 m] above sea level.<5> In other words, the altitude of Anniston is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Anniston was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Note: If you travel east from Anniston (for example, toward Adrian (TX)), you will leave Mountain Time and cross into the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT).
The location where Anniston once stood is in the (575) area code.
Communities Also Named Anniston ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 2 communities that are also named Anniston - they are located in Alabama and Missouri.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Anniston.
Communities near Anniston ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Anniston.
- Logan [Quay County]
- San Jon [Quay County]
- Cummings Place [Quay County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cummings Place
- Cummings Place [Quay County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the southwest of Anniston
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cummings Place
- Glenrio [Quay County] - Historic
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Lesbia [Quay County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lesbia
- Lesbia [Quay County] was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<6> to the southwest of Anniston
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lesbia have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Nara Visa [Quay County]
- Glenrio [Deaf Smith County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Glenrio
- Glenrio [Deaf Smith County] was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<6> to the southeast of Anniston
- Tucumcari [Quay County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tucumcari
- Tucumcari [Quay County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<6> to the southwest of Anniston
- Population from the 2020 Census: 4,827 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tucumcari
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Tucumcari<7>
- Boise [Oldham County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Boise
- Boise [Oldham County] was located 28 miles [45.1 km]<6> to the east of Anniston
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Boise have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Adrian [Oldham County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Adrian
- Adrian [Oldham County] lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<6> to the east of Anniston
- Population from the 2020 Census: 171 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Adrian have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Adrian
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Adrian<7>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Anniston. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Anniston.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Anniston. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Anniston.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Anniston. See our Newspapers Page for Anniston.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for New Mexico
About Quay County
About New Mexico
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of New Mexico: www.newmexico.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Anniston, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of New Mexico's counties, including Quay, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Anniston refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Anniston may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<5>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Anniston - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Anniston) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Anniston. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.3739, Longitude: -103.3225 In this case, the coordinates for Anniston have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|