Welcome to Zap ...
The city of Zap is located in Mercer County<1>.
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Zap has a population of 217 people<2> (see below for details).
Zap was established in 1913.
The community of Zap is 1,840 feet [561 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: Zap lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Note: If you travel south from Zap (for example, toward Hebron), you will leave Mountain Time and cross into the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT).
The area code for Zap: (701)
The ZIP code for Zap: 58580<4>
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Zap had an population of 217 people. This is a decrease of 8.44% since the 2010 Census (or a decrease of 6.06% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Zap had a population of 237 people. This makes Zap the county's 6th most populous community.
The population of Zap represents 0.04% of the total population of North Dakota (which has 672,591 people), making it the state's 184th most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 237 people, the population of Zap increased 2.6% from the 2000 Census (with a count of 231 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Zap.
Communities near Zap ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Zap.
- Beulah [Mercer County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beulah
- Beulah [Mercer County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the east of Zap
- Estimated population in 2019: 3,139 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Beulah have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beulah
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Beulah<7>
- Hazen [Mercer County]
- Halliday [Dunn County]
- Golden Valley [Mercer County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Golden Valley
- Golden Valley [Mercer County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the west of Zap
- Estimated population in 2019: 163 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Golden Valley have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Golden Valley
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Golden Valley<7>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Dodge [Dunn County]
- Beaver Creek [Mercer County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beaver Creek
- Beaver Creek [Mercer County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the north of Zap
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Beaver Creek. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Krem [Mercer County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Krem
- Krem [Mercer County] was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the northeast of Zap
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Krem. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Nishu [McLean County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nishu
- Nishu [McLean County] was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the north of Zap
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Nishu. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Red Butte [Mercer County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Red Butte
- Red Butte [Mercer County] was located 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the northwest of Zap
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Red Butte. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Marshall [Dunn County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Zap. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Zap.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Zap. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Zap.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Zap. See our Newspapers Page for Zap.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Zap ...
Looking for more information about Zap? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Zap, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Zap.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of North Dakota
About Mercer County
About North Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Zap. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of North Dakota: www.nd.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of North Dakota's counties, including Mercer, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Zap.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Zap - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Zap). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Zap or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Zap) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Zap. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Zap
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Zap. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 47.2866, Longitude: -101.9244
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|