Our Genealogy Helper for Riverside ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Riverside (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Riverside. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Neighboring Counties ...
When searching for family records, we have frequently made the mistake of not checking the neighboring counties.
For example, we have great-grandparents who lived in the southwest corner of their home county. During their lives, most doctors and hospitals were in the next county to the west. Almost all of the nearby churches and cemeteries were in the county to the south.
So when searching for records, we had our best success by looking in neighboring counties instead of the county in which they lived: their home county contained property and probate records; the county to the west contained birth and death records; the county to the south contained their burial records. If we hadn't included the neighboring counties, we would have missed many valuable sources of information.
If you're in a similar situation, we hope that the following information helps.
Riverside is located in Gallatin County.
To see how the shape of Montana's counties have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Gallatin County: Fremont (ID), Broadwater, Jefferson, Madison, Meagher, Park, Park (WY) & Teton (WY).
Below are the counties that are near Riverside. For each of these counties, we show a sample of those communities that are closest to Riverside:
- Gallatin County (The home county of Riverside)
- West Yellowstone [Gallatin County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for West Yellowstone
- West Yellowstone [Gallatin County] lies less than 2 miles<1> to the west of Riverside
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,372 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for West Yellowstone have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on West Yellowstone
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for West Yellowstone<3>
- Park County
- Gardiner [Park County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gardiner
- Gardiner [Park County] lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<1> to the northeast of Riverside
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gardiner have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gardiner
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Gardiner<3>
- Fremont County (ID)
- Island Park [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Island Park
- Island Park [Fremont County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the southwest of Riverside
- Population from the 2020 Census: 260 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Island Park have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Island Park
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Island Park<3>
- Macks Inn [Fremont County]
- Box Canyon [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Box Canyon
- Box Canyon [Fremont County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the southwest of Riverside
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Box Canyon
- Warm River [Fremont County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Warm River
- Warm River [Fremont County] lies 39 miles [62.8 km]<1> to the south of Riverside
- Population from the 2020 Census: 3 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Warm River
- Park County (WY)
- Mammoth [Park County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mammoth
- Mammoth [Park County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Riverside
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mammoth
- Canyon Village [Park County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Canyon Village
- Canyon Village [Park County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the east of Riverside
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Canyon Village have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Canyon Village
For an expanded list of the communities that are closest to Riverside, see our County-by-County Page for Riverside.
Newspapers Published in Riverside ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 3 newspapers that have been published in the area around Riverside.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of Riverside, there are papers which were published within 31 miles [49.9 km]. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for Riverside.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Riverside:
- Websites specific to Montana
- Pages specific to Gallatin County
- Genealogy information for nearby counties
- Park County
- Fremont County
- Park County
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Montana
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Idaho
- Stories from Montana
- Stories from Wyoming
Cemeteries Near Riverside ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Riverside.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Riverside covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Fir Ridge Cemetery
- Mattie Culver Gravesite
- Targhee Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Targhee Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Targhee Cemetery have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Targhee Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the west of Riverside.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Targhee Cemetery
- Ft. Yellowstone Army Cemetery
- Mammoth Civilian Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mammoth Civilian Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Mammoth Civilian Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Mammoth Civilian Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Riverside.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mammoth Civilian Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2462986<4>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Riverside. See our List of 1890's Communities around Riverside.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Montana
About Gallatin County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Riverside. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Gallatin County: www.co.gallatin.mt.us/
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Riverside) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Riverside. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.6596, Longitude: -111.0716 In this case, the coordinates for Riverside have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|