Welcome to Fort Maginnis ...
So far, we have found very little information about Fort Maginnis. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Fort Maginnis to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Fort Maginnis, please Contact Us.
Fort Maginnis would have been located within present day Fergus County<2>.
Since we don't have the location of Fort Maginnis, we have used what we believe to be its closest cemetery as an estimate.
Time Zone: The area where Fort Maginnis was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
If Fort Maginnis still existed, it would have been in the (406) area code.
Communities near Fort Maginnis ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Fort Maginnis.
- Lewistown [Fergus County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lewistown
- Lewistown [Fergus County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the southwest of Fort Maginnis
- Population from the 2020 Census: 5,905 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lewistown have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lewistown
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lewistown<5>
- Grass Range [Fergus County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grass Range
- Grass Range [Fergus County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the southeast of Fort Maginnis
- Population from the 2020 Census: 105 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grass Range have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grass Range
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Grass Range<5>
- Giltedge [Fergus County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Giltedge
- Giltedge [Fergus County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the southwest of Fort Maginnis
- Hilger [Fergus County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Roy Junction [Fergus County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Roy Junction
- Roy Junction [Fergus County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the northwest of Fort Maginnis
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Roy Junction. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Roy Junction
- Forestgrove [Fergus County]
- Roy [Fergus County]
- Heath [Fergus County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heath
- Heath [Fergus County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the southwest of Fort Maginnis
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heath
- Christina [Fergus County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Christina
- Christina [Fergus County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<3> to the northwest of Fort Maginnis
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Christina
- Kendall [Fergus County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kendall
- Kendall [Fergus County] was located 16 miles [25.7 km]<3> to the northwest of Fort Maginnis
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Fort Maginnis. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Fort Maginnis.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Fort Maginnis. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Fort Maginnis.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Fort Maginnis. See our Newspapers Page for Fort Maginnis.
Adding Fort Maginnis to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Fort Maginnis was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Fort Maginnis on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Montana
About Fergus County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Fergus County: www.co.fergus.mt.us/
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Fort Maginnis, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Fergus, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Fort Maginnis) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Fort Maginnis. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Fort MaginnisOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fort Maginnis. We have been unable to find the coordinates for Fort Maginnis. That said, to estimate its location, we are using the latitude and longitude of what we believe to be a nearby cemetery (likely the town cemetery). The cemetery that we've chosen is named Fort Maginnis Cemetery and it is located at 47.1880, -109.1476 [Map].|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|