Welcome to Andersonville ...
So far, we have found very little information about Andersonville. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Andersonville to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Andersonville, please Contact Us.
Andersonville would have been located within present day Fergus County<2>.
The location of Andersonville has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Andersonville is 4,410 feet [1,344 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of Andersonville is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Andersonville was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
If Andersonville still existed, it would have been in the (406) area code.
Communities Also Named Andersonville ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 16 communities that are also named Andersonville - they are located in Alabama, Colorado, Georgia (3), Indiana (2), Kentucky, Michigan, New Brunswick, Ohio (2), South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Andersonville.
Communities near Andersonville ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Andersonville.
- Lewistown [Fergus County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lewistown
- Lewistown [Fergus County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the southwest of Andersonville
- Population from the 2020 Census: 5,905 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lewistown have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lewistown
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lewistown<6>
- Giltedge [Fergus County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Giltedge
- Giltedge [Fergus County] was located 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the southeast of Andersonville
- Hilger [Fergus County]
- Fort Maginnis [Fergus County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fort Maginnis
- Fort Maginnis [Fergus County] was located 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the east of Andersonville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fort Maginnis came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Roy Junction [Fergus County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Roy Junction
- Roy Junction [Fergus County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the north of Andersonville
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Roy Junction. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Roy Junction
- Kendall [Fergus County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kendall
- Kendall [Fergus County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the northwest of Andersonville
- Lewistown Heights [Fergus County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lewistown Heights
- Lewistown Heights [Fergus County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Andersonville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lewistown Heights have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lewistown Heights
- Christina [Fergus County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Christina
- Christina [Fergus County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the north of Andersonville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Christina
- Heath [Fergus County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heath
- Heath [Fergus County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the south of Andersonville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heath
- Forestgrove [Fergus County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Andersonville. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Andersonville.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Andersonville. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Andersonville.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Andersonville. See our Newspapers Page for Andersonville.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Montana
About Fergus County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Fergus County: www.co.fergus.mt.us/
The official website for State of Montana: https://mt.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Andersonville, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Montana's counties, including Fergus, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Andersonville - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Andersonville) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Andersonville. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 47.1869, Longitude: -109.2846 In this case, the coordinates for Andersonville have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|