Census Data for Sardis
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Sardis a population of 1,553 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Sardis a population of 1,703 people.
The town of Sardis is located in Panola County. The 2010 Census gave Panola County; a population of 34,707 people. This means that Sardis had 4.91% of the county's total population, making it Panola's 2nd most populous community.
At the same time, Mississippi had a population of 2,967,297 people, meaning that Sardis had 0.06% of the total population of Mississippi - making it the state's 123rd most populous community.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Sardis has a total area of 2 square miles [5.2 km²].
Panola County has a land area of 685 square miles [1,774.5 km²]. At 2 square miles [5.2 km²], Sardis has 0.29% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a town like Sardis, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the town.
- Things like population, area and housing for Sardis reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Sardis might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 34° 26' 7" (or 34.44°)
- Lon: -89° 54' 40" (or -89.91°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Sardis had 745 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 1,703 people, this averages 2.29 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Sardis had a land area of 2 square miles [5.2 km²]. This translates to 372.7 Housing Units per square mile [143.9 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Sardis had 862 Housing Units, a population of 2,038 people and a land area of 1.98 square miles [5.1 km²]. This gives a density of 2.36 people per Housing Unit and 434.8 Housing Units per square mile [167.9 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 Census and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Sardis and you need to be careful when comparing values between the censuses. More information about these differences can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Panola County ...
The community of Sardis is located in Panola County<4> and is the County Seat for Panola County.
The county had a population of 34,707 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 1,703 people, Sardis represented 4.91% of the county's total.
In addition, where the town of Sardis has a population density of 851 people per square mile [328.9 people/km²], Panola County averages 50.7 people per square mile [19.56 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Panola County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Sardis, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Sardis. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Sardis or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Sardis, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Sardis.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 34.435505° (or 34°26'7" N)
- Lon: -89.911362° (or -89°54'40" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 34.435458° (or 34°26'7" N)
- Lon: -89.916755° (or -89°55'0" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 1,621 feet to the east<5> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2407290) to Sardis. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Sardis. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 34.435554° (or 34°26'7" N)
- Lon: -89.911444° (or -89°54'41" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 30.45 feet to the southeast<6> of the point given by the GNIS for Sardis. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Sardis.
Miscellaneous Information for Sardis ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Panola County or the town of Sardis:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Sardis:
- GNIS ID for Sardis: 2407290
- GNIS ID for Panola County: 695776
- GNIS ID for State of Mississippi: 1779790
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Sardis is located in Census Region #3 (the South Region) and Division #6 (the East South-Central Division).
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Sardis.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Sardis. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Mississippi: https://www.ms.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Mississippi's counties, including Panola, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 270 degrees and a distance of 1,621 feet.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 234 degrees and a distance of 30.45 feet.|