Welcome to Taunton ...
The city of Taunton is located in Bristol County<1> and is the County Seat for Bristol County.
When the people of Taunton refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Tauntonion<2>
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Taunton has a population of 57,517 people<3> (see below for details).
Taunton was settled in 1638.
The community of Taunton is 40 feet [12 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: Taunton lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
Telephone area codes for Taunton: (508) & (774)<5>
The ZIP codes for Taunton: 02780, 02783<6>
Websites for Taunton ...
Official Website: www.ci.taunton.ma.us/
Chamber of Commerce: www.tauntonareachamber.org/
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Taunton had an population of 57,517 people. This is an increase of 2.94% since the 2010 Census (or an increase of 2.75% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Taunton had a population of 55,874 people (which is 10.19% of the total population of Bristol County). This makes Taunton the county's 3rd most populous community.
The population of Taunton represents 0.85% of the population of Massachusetts (which has 6,547,629 people), making it the state's 21st most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 55,874 people, the population of Taunton has remained roughly the same as the 2000 Census (with a count of 55,976 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Taunton.
Communities Also Named Taunton ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 7 communities that are also named Taunton - they are located in Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Ontario (3) and Washington.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Taunton.
Communities near Taunton ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Taunton.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Providence
- Providence lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<7> to the west of Taunton.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 179,270 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Providence
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brockton
- Brockton lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<7> to the north of Taunton.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 95,770 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brockton
- Fall River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fall River
- Fall River lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<7> to the south of Taunton.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 89,792 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fall River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cranston
- Cranston lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<7> to the southwest of Taunton.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 81,142 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cranston
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pawtucket
- Pawtucket lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<7> to the west of Taunton.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 71,710 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pawtucket
- East Providence
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for East Providence
- East Providence lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<7> to the southwest of Taunton.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 47,337 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on East Providence
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Attleboro
- Attleboro lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<7> to the west of Taunton.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 45,444 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Attleboro
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cumberland
- Cumberland lies 18 miles [29 km]<7> to the west of Taunton.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 35,207 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cumberland have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cumberland
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Randolph
- Randolph lies 18 miles [29 km]<7> to the north of Taunton.
- Estimated population in 2019: 34,362 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Randolph have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Randolph
- North Providence
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for North Providence
- North Providence lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<7> to the west of Taunton.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 32,507 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for North Providence have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on North Providence
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Taunton. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Taunton.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Taunton. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Taunton.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Taunton. Our list includes 34 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Taunton.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Taunton ...
Looking for more information about Taunton? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Taunton, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Taunton.
Adding Taunton to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Taunton in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Taunton was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Taunton
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Taunton on our Genealogy Page.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Taunton: www.ci.taunton.ma.us/
The official website for State of Massachusetts: https://www.mass.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Massachusetts' counties, including Bristol, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Taunton refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a city's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Taunton may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Taunton.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Taunton - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Area code (774) is an overlay for area code (508).|
|<6>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Taunton). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Taunton or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<7>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Taunton) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Taunton. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from TauntonOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Taunton. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.9016, Longitude: -71.0926 |
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|