Welcome to American Hill ...
So far, we have found very little information about American Hill. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added American Hill to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with American Hill, please Contact Us.
American Hill would have been located within present day Sierra County<2>.
The location of American Hill has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for American Hill is 4,950 feet [1,509 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of American Hill is about 1 mile [or 1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where American Hill was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
American Hill would have been located in the (530) area code.
Communities near American Hill ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near American Hill.
- Alleghany [Sierra County]
- Marsh Mill [Nevada County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marsh Mill
- Marsh Mill [Nevada County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the southeast of American Hill
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marsh Mill
- Forest [Sierra County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forest
- Forest [Sierra County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the west of American Hill
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forest
- Downieville [Sierra County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Goodyears Bar [Sierra County]
- Loganville [Sierra County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Loganville
- Loganville [Sierra County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the northeast of American Hill
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Loganville have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Loganville
- Sierra City [Sierra County]
- Washington [Nevada County]
- North Bloomfield [Nevada County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for North Bloomfield
- North Bloomfield [Nevada County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the southwest of American Hill
- Bear Valley [Shasta County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bear Valley
- Bear Valley [Shasta County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the south of American Hill
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Bear Valley. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around American Hill. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for American Hill.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of American Hill. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around American Hill.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around American Hill. See our Newspapers Page for American Hill.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for California
About Sierra County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Sierra County: www.sierracounty.ws/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about American Hill, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Sierra, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around American Hill - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- American Hill) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in American Hill. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.4838, Longitude: -120.7594 In this case, the coordinates for American Hill have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|