Welcome to Sierra City ...
Sierra City is located in Sierra County<1>.
Sierra City is 4,170 feet [1,271 m] above sea level.<2> In other words, the altitude of Sierra City is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Sierra City lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Sierra City is located in the (530) area code.
The ZIP code for Sierra City: 96125<3>
Communities near Sierra City ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Sierra City.
- Portola (18 miles [29 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Portola
- Portola lies 18 miles [29 km]<4> to the northeast of Sierra City and is located in Plumas County
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,913 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Portola
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Portola<5>
- Marsh Mill (9 miles [14.5 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marsh Mill
- Marsh Mill lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the southwest of Sierra City and is located in Nevada County
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marsh Mill
- Downieville (10 miles [16.1 km] to the west)
- Graniteville (10 miles [16.1 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Graniteville
- Graniteville lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the southwest of Sierra City and is located in Nevada County
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Graniteville
- Sattley (11 miles [17.7 km] to the east)
- Whitehawk (11 miles [17.7 km] to the north)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Whitehawk
- Whitehawk lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the north of Sierra City and is located in Plumas County
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Whitehawk have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Whitehawk
- Calpine (12 miles [19.3 km] to the northeast)
- Clio (12 miles [19.3 km] to the north)
- Forest (12 miles [19.3 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forest
- Forest lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the southwest of Sierra City and is located in Sierra County
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forest
- Meadow Lake (12 miles [19.3 km] to the southeast) - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Meadow Lake
- Meadow Lake was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the southeast of Sierra City and is located in Nevada County
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Meadow Lake. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Sierra City. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Sierra City.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Sierra City. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Sierra City.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Sierra City. See our Newspapers Page for Sierra City.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Sierra City ...
Looking for more information about Sierra City? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Sierra City, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Sierra City.
Adding Sierra City to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Sierra City in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Sierra City was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Sierra City on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Sierra City
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for California
About Sierra County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Sierra City. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Sierra County: www.sierracounty.ws/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Sierra, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Sierra City - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Sierra City). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Sierra City or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Sierra City) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Sierra City. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Sierra CityOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Sierra City. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.5666, Longitude: -120.6320 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|