Welcome to Alleghany ...
Alleghany is located in Sierra County<1>.
Alleghany is 4,420 feet [1,347 m] above sea level.<2> In other words, the elevation of Alleghany is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Alleghany lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Alleghany is within the boundaries of the (530) area code.
The ZIP code for Alleghany: 95910<3>
Communities Also Named Alleghany ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 3 communities that are also named Alleghany - they are located in Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Alleghany.
Communities near Alleghany ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Alleghany.
- Nevada City [Nevada County]
- Goodyears Bar [Sierra County]
- Graniteville [Nevada County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Graniteville
- Graniteville [Nevada County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the east of Alleghany
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Graniteville
- Downieville [Sierra County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Marsh Mill [Nevada County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marsh Mill
- Marsh Mill [Nevada County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the east of Alleghany
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marsh Mill
- Washington [Nevada County]
- Lake City [Nevada County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lake City have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lake City
- Lake City [Nevada County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the southwest of Alleghany
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lake City
- Brandy City [Sierra County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Brandy City have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brandy City
- Brandy City [Sierra County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the northwest of Alleghany
- Camptonville [Yuba County]
- Depot Hill [Yuba County] - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Depot Hill. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Depot Hill
- Depot Hill [Yuba County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the west of Alleghany
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Alleghany. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Alleghany.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Alleghany. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Alleghany.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Alleghany. See our Newspapers Page for Alleghany.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Alleghany ...
Looking for more information about Alleghany? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Alleghany, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Alleghany.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in California
About Sierra County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Alleghany. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Sierra County: www.sierracounty.ws/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Sierra, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Alleghany - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Alleghany). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Alleghany or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Alleghany) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Alleghany. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Alleghany
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alleghany. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.4696, Longitude: -120.8434
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|