Around Alleghany ...
The largest community within a 50 mile [80 km] radius is Oroville. It is located about 38 miles [61 km] to the west of Alleghany. Oroville has a population of 20,200 people.<1>.
The next largest community is Truckee.
It is located about 36 miles [ km] to the east of Alleghany and has a population of 17,000 people.
Below is a sample of nearby communities: Please note that when we give a distance, it's a 'straight-line' distance from Alleghany.<2>
- Blue Tent [Nevada County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blue Tent
- Blue Tent [Nevada County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the southwest of Alleghany
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blue Tent
- Camptonville [Yuba County]
- Downieville [Sierra County]
- Emigrant Gap [Placer County]
- Forest [Sierra County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forest
- Forest [Sierra County] lies less than 2 miles<2> to the northwest of Alleghany
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forest
- Goodyears Bar [Sierra County]
- Continue List (9 more) ...
- Graniteville [Nevada County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Graniteville
- Graniteville [Nevada County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<2> to the east of Alleghany
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Graniteville
- Lake City [Nevada County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lake City
- Lake City [Nevada County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the southwest of Alleghany
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lake City
- Loganville [Sierra County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Loganville
- Loganville [Sierra County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the northeast of Alleghany
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Loganville have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Loganville
- Marsh Mill [Nevada County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marsh Mill
- Marsh Mill [Nevada County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the east of Alleghany
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marsh Mill
- North Columbia [Nevada County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for North Columbia
- North Columbia [Nevada County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Alleghany
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for North Columbia have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on North Columbia
- Queen City [Sierra County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Queen City
- Queen City [Sierra County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the north of Alleghany
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Queen City have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Queen City
- Scotts Flat [Nevada County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Scotts Flat
- Scotts Flat [Nevada County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the south of Alleghany
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Scotts Flat
- Sierra City [Sierra County]
- Washington [Nevada County]
For more communities neighboring Alleghany, please visit our County-by-County Page for Alleghany.
Sierra County ...
Alleghany is located in Sierra County<5>.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Sierra County: Lassen, Nevada, Plumas, Yuba & Washoe (NV).
Curious and Interesting Names Near Alleghany ...
It seems like there is always a nearby community with a name that seems interesting, maybe familiar or just catches our attention in some other way. We've collected some names which strike us as being curious or interesting. Our list can be found on the Tidbits & Trivia Page for Alleghany.
Airports Near Alleghany ...
When a trip includes a flight, we try to find an airport that best fits our travel plans.<6> To that purpose, we've assembled a list of that are relatively close to Alleghany and that information can be found on the Airports Page for Alleghany.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Alleghany ...
Looking for more information about Alleghany? A good source is the TripAdvisor website and we always start with their TripAdvisor page for Alleghany. Their page will give you an overview and then additional links that will help you to find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the TripAdvisor page for Alleghany, there are neighboring communities that also have TripAdvisor pages. A list of those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Alleghany.
Websites We Enjoy ...
When we're planning a trip, we like to check the following websites for sights, attractions and places to visit.
- For the State of California:
- TripAdvisor Links for:
- Also of Interest:
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for California
About Sierra County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Alleghany. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Sierra County: www.sierracounty.ws/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Alleghany.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Alleghany) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Alleghany. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AlleghanyOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alleghany. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.4696, Longitude: -120.8434 |
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Sierra, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<6>||When we are planning a trip (for example, to Alleghany), we usually look for the obvious: the choice of airlines that fly into the airport, the number of flights, the connections we have to make, which car rentals are available, etc. We also look for sights and attractions that we might find between any given airport and our destination - we do love exploring. We're willing to fly into a more distant airport if we can get the services and amenities that we like. Even though our choice of airport might be inconvenient to others, it usually gives us a better trip.|