Welcome to Algoma ...
So far, we have found very little information about Algoma. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Algoma to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Algoma, please Contact Us.
Algoma would have been located within present day Siskiyou County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Algoma, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
Time Zone: The area where Algoma was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
If Algoma still existed, it would have been in the (530) area code.
Communities Also Named Algoma ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 8 communities that are also named Algoma - they are located in Idaho (2), Mississippi, Ontario, Oregon, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Algoma.
Communities near Algoma ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Algoma.
- Slagger [Siskiyou County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Slagger have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Slagger
- Slagger [Siskiyou County] was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the northeast of Algoma
- Hambone [Siskiyou County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hambone have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hambone
- Hambone [Siskiyou County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<5> to the northeast of Algoma
- McCloud [Siskiyou County]
- Big Bend [Shasta County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Cayton [Shasta County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cayton
- Cayton [Shasta County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the southeast of Algoma
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cayton
- Dana [Shasta County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dana
- Dana [Shasta County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the southeast of Algoma
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dana
- Shasta Springs [Siskiyou County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shasta Springs
- Shasta Springs [Siskiyou County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the west of Algoma
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shasta Springs
- Dunsmuir [Siskiyou County]
- Alfa [Shasta County] - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Alfa. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Alfa
- Alfa [Shasta County] was located 22 miles [35.4 km]<5> to the southeast of Algoma
- Castle Crags [Shasta County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Castle Crags have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Castle Crags
- Castle Crags [Shasta County] was located 22 miles [35.4 km]<5> to the west of Algoma
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Algoma. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Algoma.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Algoma. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Algoma.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Algoma. See our Newspapers Page for Algoma.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in California
About Siskiyou County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Siskiyou County: www.co.siskiyou.ca.us/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Algoma, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Siskiyou, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Algoma) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Algoma. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Algoma
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Algoma. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.2564, Longitude: -121.8832
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|