Welcome to Ottertail ...
Although we found mention of Ottertail during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Ottertail was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Ottertail to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Ottertail, please Contact Us.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Ottertail might be (or was) located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Note: If you leave Ottertail and travel west, you will leave Mountain Time and cross into the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT).
We believe that Ottertail would be found within the (250) and (778)<2> area codes.
Adding Ottertail to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Ottertail was on a map titled Map of British Columbia (from Gulf Refining, 1925).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Ottertail on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Ottertail ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found another community named Ottertail - it's located in Minnesota.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Ottertail.
Communities near Ottertail ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Ottertail.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Leanchoil
- Leanchoil lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the south of Ottertail
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Leanchoil came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Leanchoil
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for McMurdo
- McMurdo lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the southwest of Ottertail
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for McMurdo came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McMurdo
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Stephen
- Stephen lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the northeast of Ottertail
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Stephen came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Stephen
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nicholson
- Nicholson lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<3> to the west of Ottertail
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nicholson
- Lake Louise
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Edelweiss
- Edelweiss lies 18 miles [29 km]<3> to the west of Ottertail
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Edelweiss
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Moberly
- Moberly lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<3> to the west of Ottertail
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Moberly came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Moberly
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Ottertail ...
Looking for more information about Ottertail? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Ottertail, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Ottertail.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a British Columbia Community
About British Columbia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Ottertail and then turned east". While Ottertail could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Ottertail as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Ottertail could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Area code (778) is an overlay for area code (250).|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Ottertail) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ottertail. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.3167, Longitude: -116.5500 |
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|