Welcome to Fernie ...
While we don't have a date for the establishment of Fernie, you might get a feel for its founding by knowing that they incorporated July 28, 1904.
The city of Fernie is 3,300 feet [1,006 m] above sea level.<1> In other words, the altitude of Fernie is about ¾ mile [or 1 km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Fernie lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Telephone area codes for Fernie: (250) & (778)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Fernie: V0B<3>
Websites for Fernie ...
Official Website: www.city.fernie.bc.ca/
Chamber of Commerce: www.ferniechamber.com/
Adding Fernie to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Fernie was on a map titled Map of British Columbia (from Gulf Refining, 1925).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Fernie on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Fernie ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found another community named Fernie - it's located in Kansas.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Fernie.
Communities near Fernie ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Fernie.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hosmer
- Hosmer lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the northeast of Fernie
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hosmer
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Morrissey
- Morrissey lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the south of Fernie
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Morrissey
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Galloway
- Galloway lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the southwest of Fernie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Galloway came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Galloway
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jaffray
- Jaffray lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the southwest of Fernie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Jaffray came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jaffray
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elko
- Elko lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the south of Fernie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elko came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elko
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Elko<5>
- Michel - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Michel
- Michel was located 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the northeast of Fernie
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Michel. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wardner
- Wardner lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the southwest of Fernie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wardner came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wardner
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Wardner<5>
- Bull River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bull River
- Bull River lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the west of Fernie
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bull River came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bull River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Corbin
- Corbin lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the east of Fernie
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Corbin
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Fernie ...
Looking for more information about Fernie? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Fernie, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Fernie.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of British Columbia
About British Columbia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Fernie: www.city.fernie.bc.ca/
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Fernie - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (778) is an overlay for area code (250).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Fernie). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Fernie or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Fernie) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Fernie. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from FernieOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Fernie. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.5103, Longitude: -115.0622 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|