Welcome to Elko ...
Elko is 3,110 feet [948 m] above sea level.<1> In other words, the elevation of Elko is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: Elko lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Area codes for Elko: (250) and (778)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Elko: V0B<3>
Adding Elko to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Elko was on a map titled Map of British Columbia (from Gulf Refining, 1925).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Elko on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Elko ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 12 communities that are also named Elko - they are located in Alabama, Colorado, Georgia, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina and Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Elko.
Communities near Elko ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Elko.
- Baynes Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Baynes Lake
- Baynes Lake lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the southwest of Elko
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Baynes Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Galloway
- Galloway lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the northwest of Elko
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Galloway came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Galloway
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Morrissey
- Morrissey lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the northeast of Elko
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Morrissey
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Waldo - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Waldo
- Waldo was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the southwest of Elko
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Waldo. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kragmont
- Kragmont lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the southwest of Elko
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kragmont
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jaffray
- Jaffray lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the northwest of Elko
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Jaffray came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jaffray
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grasmere
- Grasmere lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the south of Elko
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grasmere came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grasmere
- Coal Creek - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coal Creek
- Coal Creek was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the northeast of Elko
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Coal Creek. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- West Fernie
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for West Fernie
- West Fernie lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the north of Elko
- Jump to Google Maps centered on West Fernie
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Elko ...
Looking for more information about Elko? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Elko, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Elko.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within British Columbia
About British Columbia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Elko. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Elko - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (778) is an overlay for area code (250).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Elko, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Elko). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Elko or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Elko) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Elko. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from ElkoOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Elko. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.3000, Longitude: -115.1167 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|