Welcome to Sonoita ...
Sonoita is located in Santa Cruz County<1>.
The pronunciation of Sonoita: Suh-noy-tah<2>
Sonoita is 4,880 feet [1,487 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the altitude of Sonoita is about 1 mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Sonoita lies in the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST) and does not observe daylight saving time
Sonoita is located in the (520) area code.
The ZIP code for Sonoita: 85637<4>
Adding Sonoita to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
We originally found mention of Sonoita in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, we also found mention of Sonoita elsewhere: The earliest book where we found it mentioned was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Sonoita on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Sonoita ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are two Arizona communities named Sonoita: This one is located in Santa Cruz County and the other is located in Pima County.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Sonoita.
Communities near Sonoita ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Sonoita.
- Huachuca City [Cochise County]
- Patagonia [Santa Cruz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Patagonia
- Patagonia [Santa Cruz County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Sonoita
- Estimated population in 2019: 874 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Patagonia
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Patagonia<6>
- Casa Blanca [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Casa Blanca
- Casa Blanca [Santa Cruz County] was located 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the southwest of Sonoita
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Casa Blanca. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Kentucky Camp [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kentucky Camp
- Kentucky Camp [Santa Cruz County] was located 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the northwest of Sonoita
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Elgin [Santa Cruz County]
- Crittenden [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crittenden
- Crittenden [Santa Cruz County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southwest of Sonoita
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Crittenden. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Greaterville [Pima County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greaterville
- Greaterville [Pima County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the northwest of Sonoita
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Greaterville have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Canelo [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Canelo
- Canelo [Santa Cruz County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the southeast of Sonoita
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Canelo have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former name for Canelo:
- Alto [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Alto
- Alto [Santa Cruz County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the west of Sonoita
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Alto have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Madera Canyon [Santa Cruz County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Sonoita. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Sonoita.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Sonoita. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Sonoita.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Sonoita. See our Newspapers Page for Sonoita.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Sonoita ...
Looking for more information about Sonoita? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Sonoita, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Sonoita.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Arizona
About Santa Cruz County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Sonoita. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Santa Cruz County: www.co.santa-cruz.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Arizona's counties, including Santa Cruz, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The pronunciation we've provided is our attempt to give a phonetic pronunciation for Sonoita. While it might not be exactly right, hopefully it will be close. If we have it wrong or there's a better way to pronounce the name, please contact us through our Feedback Page.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Sonoita - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Sonoita). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Sonoita or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Sonoita) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Sonoita. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Sonoita
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Sonoita. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.6793, Longitude: -110.6558
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|