Welcome to Elgin ...
Elgin is located in Santa Cruz County<1>.
Elgin is 4,720 feet [1,439 m] above sea level.<2> In other words, the elevation of Elgin is about ¾ mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Elgin lies in the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST) and does not observe daylight saving time
The area code for Elgin: (520)
The ZIP code for Elgin: 85611<3>
Communities Also Named Elgin ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are two Arizona communities named Elgin: This one is located in Santa Cruz County and the other is located in Pima County.
Beyond Arizona, there are 39 communities that are also named Elgin - they are located in Alabama (2), Arkansas, British Columbia, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas (2), Manitoba, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri (2), Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Brunswick, New York, North Dakota, Nova Scotia, Ohio, Oklahoma (2), Ontario (2), Oregon, Pennsylvania, Quebec, South Carolina (2), Tennessee, Texas, Utah (2), Virginia and Washington.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Elgin.
Communities near Elgin ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Elgin.
- Sierra Vista [Cochise County]
- Huachuca City [Cochise County]
- Patagonia [Santa Cruz County]
- Sonoita [Santa Cruz County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Canelo [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Canelo
- Canelo [Santa Cruz County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the south of Elgin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Canelo have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former name for Canelo:
- Casa Blanca [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Casa Blanca
- Casa Blanca [Santa Cruz County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the west of Elgin
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Casa Blanca. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Coronado Village [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coronado Village
- Coronado Village [Cochise County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the southeast of Elgin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Coronado Village have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coronado Village
- Fort Huachuca [Cochise County]
- Signal Village [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Signal Village
- Signal Village [Cochise County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the southeast of Elgin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Signal Village have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Signal Village
- Crittenden [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crittenden
- Crittenden [Santa Cruz County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the southwest of Elgin
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Crittenden. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Elgin. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Elgin.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Elgin. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Elgin.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Elgin. See our Newspapers Page for Elgin.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Elgin ...
Looking for more information about Elgin? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Elgin, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Elgin.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Arizona
About Santa Cruz County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Elgin. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Santa Cruz County: www.co.santa-cruz.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Arizona's counties, including Santa Cruz, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Elgin - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Elgin). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Elgin or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Elgin) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Elgin. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Elgin
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Elgin. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.6605, Longitude: -110.5256
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|