Welcome to Canelo ...
So far, we have found very little information about Canelo. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Canelo to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Canelo, please Contact Us.
Canelo would have been located within present day Santa Cruz County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Canelo, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
Canelo was established in 1904.
In the past, Canelo was named Canille and Canille. For more information about the names of Canelo, see The Names of Canelo on our Genealogy Page.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Canelo is 4,990 feet [1,521 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Canelo is about 1 mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Canelo was located is in the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST) and does not observe daylight saving time
If Canelo still existed, it would have been in the (520) area code.
Communities near Canelo ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Canelo.
- Sierra Vista [Cochise County]
- Huachuca City [Cochise County]
- Patagonia [Santa Cruz County]
- Elgin [Santa Cruz County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Coronado Village [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coronado Village
- Coronado Village [Cochise County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the east of Canelo
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Coronado Village have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coronado Village
- Signal Village [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Signal Village
- Signal Village [Cochise County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the east of Canelo
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Signal Village have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Signal Village
- Sunnyside [Cochise County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunnyside
- Sunnyside [Cochise County] was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the southeast of Canelo
- De Anza Village [Cochise County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for De Anza Village
- De Anza Village [Cochise County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the east of Canelo
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for De Anza Village have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on De Anza Village
- Fort Huachuca [Cochise County]
- Casa Blanca [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Casa Blanca
- Casa Blanca [Santa Cruz County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the west of Canelo
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Casa Blanca. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Canelo. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Canelo.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Canelo. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Canelo.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Canelo. See our Newspapers Page for Canelo.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Arizona
About Santa Cruz County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Santa Cruz County: www.co.santa-cruz.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Canelo, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Arizona's counties, including Santa Cruz, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Canelo - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Canelo) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Canelo. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Canelo
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Canelo. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.5437, Longitude: -110.5157 In this case, the coordinates for Canelo have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|