Our Genealogy Helper for Kom Vo ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Kom Vo (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Kom Vo. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Neighboring Counties ...
When searching for family records, we have frequently made the mistake of not checking the neighboring counties.
For example, we have great-grandparents who lived in the southwest corner of their home county. During their lives, most hospitals and doctors were in the next county to the west. Almost all of the nearby churches and cemeteries were in the county to the south.
So when searching for records, we had our best success by looking in neighboring counties instead of the county in which they lived: their home county contained property and probate records; the county to the west contained birth and death records; the county to the south contained their burial records. If we hadn't included the neighboring counties, we would have missed many valuable sources of information.
If you're in a similar situation, we hope that the following information helps.
Kom Vo is located in Pima County.
To see how the shape of Arizona's counties have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Pima County: Cochise, Graham, Maricopa, Pinal, Santa Cruz & Yuma.
Below are the counties that are near Kom Vo. For each of these counties, we show a sample of those communities that are closest to Kom Vo:
- Pima County (The home county of Kom Vo)
- Pisinemo [Pima County]
- Wahak Hotrontk [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wahak Hotrontk
- Wahak Hotrontk [Pima County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the north of Kom Vo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wahak Hotrontk
- Ali Chuk [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ali Chuk
- Ali Chuk [Pima County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the southwest of Kom Vo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ali Chuk
- Allen [Pima County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Allen
- Allen [Pima County] was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the northeast of Kom Vo
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Allen. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Narcho Santos [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Narcho Santos
- Narcho Santos [Pima County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the northeast of Kom Vo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Narcho Santos
- Gu Oidak [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gu Oidak
- Gu Oidak [Pima County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the east of Kom Vo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gu Oidak
- Logan City [Pima County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Logan City
- Logan City [Pima County] was located 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the northeast of Kom Vo
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Logan City. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Maish Vaya [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Maish Vaya
- Maish Vaya [Pima County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the northeast of Kom Vo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Maish Vaya
- Nolic [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nolic
- Nolic [Pima County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the east of Kom Vo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nolic
- Cowlic [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cowlic
- Cowlic [Pima County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the southeast of Kom Vo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cowlic
- Charco [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Charco
- Charco [Pima County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the northwest of Kom Vo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Charco
- Vaya Chin [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Vaya Chin
- Vaya Chin [Pima County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the north of Kom Vo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vaya Chin
- Ko Vaya [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ko Vaya
- Ko Vaya [Pima County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the east of Kom Vo
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ko Vaya
For an expanded list of the communities that are closest to Kom Vo, see our County-by-County Page for Kom Vo.
Newspapers Published in Kom Vo ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 4 newspapers that have been published in the area around Kom Vo.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of Kom Vo, there are papers which were published within 27 miles [43.5 km]. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for Kom Vo.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Kom Vo:
- Websites specific to Arizona
- Pages specific to Pima County
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Arizona
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Arizona
Cemeteries Near Kom Vo ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Kom Vo.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Kom Vo covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Pisinimo Cemetery
- Gu Vo Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Gu Vo Cemetery
- Gu Vo Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the northwest of Kom Vo.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gu Vo Cemetery
- Tohono O'odham Reservation Cemetery
- Sikul Himatk Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Sikul Himatk Cemetery
- The Sikul Himatk Cemetery is located 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Sells.Sikul Himatk Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km] to the northeast of Kom Vo.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sikul Himatk Cemetery
- Cowlic Cemetery
- Nolic Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Gunsight Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Gunsight Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Gunsight Cemetery have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Gunsight Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the northwest of Kom Vo.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gunsight Cemetery
- Hickiwan Cemetery
Nearby Communities in 1895 ...
We've built the following list with information that came from an Atlas published by Rand McNally in 1895. The Atlas had details such as the population of the community (which appears to have come from the 1890 Census) and whether there was a post office and/or railroad service available. We also indicate if the community no longer exists and is now historic.<6>
While we didn't find Kom Vo in the Atlas, the following 1895 communities would have been found near the current location of Kom Vo.
- Quijotoa [Pima County] - Historic
- While Quijotoa was mentioned in the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, it no longer exists
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Quijotoa
- Quijotoa [Pima County] was located 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the northeast of Kom Vo
- From the 1895 Atlas, Quijotoa had a post office and no railroad service
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Quijotoa have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Kom Vo. See our List of 1890's Communities around Kom Vo.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Arizona
About Pima County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Kom Vo. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Pima County: www.co.pima.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Kom Vo) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Kom Vo. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.9598, Longitude: -112.3490 In this case, the coordinates for Kom Vo have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Kom Vo, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|