Our Genealogy Helper for Heber ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Heber (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Heber. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Neighboring Counties ...
When searching for family records, we have frequently made the mistake of not checking the neighboring counties.
For example, we have great-grandparents who lived in the southwest corner of their home county. During their lives, most doctors and hospitals were in the next county to the west. Almost all of the nearby churches and cemeteries were in the county to the south.
So when searching for records, we had our best success by looking in neighboring counties instead of the county in which they lived: their home county contained property and probate records; the county to the west contained birth and death records; the county to the south contained their burial records. If we hadn't included the neighboring counties, we would have missed many valuable sources of information.
If you're in a similar situation, we hope that the following information helps.
Heber is located in Navajo County.
To see how the shape of Arizona's counties have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Navajo County: Apache, Coconino, Gila, Graham & San Juan (UT).
Below are the counties that are near Heber. For each of these counties, we show a sample of those communities that are closest to Heber:
- Navajo County (The home county of Heber)
- Heber-Overgaard [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heber-Overgaard
- Heber-Overgaard [Navajo County] lies less than 2 miles<1> to the southeast of Heber
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heber-Overgaard
- Overgaard [Navajo County]
- Clay Springs [Navajo County]
- Pinedale [Navajo County]
- Grasshopper [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grasshopper
- Grasshopper [Navajo County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the south of Heber
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grasshopper have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grasshopper
- Linden [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Linden
- Linden [Navajo County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the east of Heber
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Linden
- Cibecue [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cibecue
- Cibecue [Navajo County] lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the south of Heber
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cibecue
- Taylor [Navajo County]
- Snowflake [Navajo County]
- Show Low [Navajo County]
- White Mountain Lake [Navajo County]
- Joseph City [Navajo County]
- Woodruff [Navajo County]
- Coconino County
- Forest Lakes [Coconino County]
- Gila County
- Christopher Creek [Gila County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Christopher Creek
- Christopher Creek [Gila County] lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the west of Heber
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Christopher Creek
- Bear Flat [Gila County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bear Flat
- Bear Flat [Gila County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the west of Heber
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bear Flat
- Kohls Ranch [Gila County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kohls Ranch
- Kohls Ranch [Gila County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the west of Heber
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kohls Ranch
- Young [Gila County]
- Star Valley [Gila County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Star Valley
- Star Valley [Gila County] lies 39 miles [62.8 km]<1> to the west of Heber
- Estimated population in 2019: 2,308 people
- Star Valley has also been known as:
- Diamond Star
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Star Valley
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Star Valley<2>
For an expanded list of the communities that are closest to Heber, see our County-by-County Page for Heber.
Newspapers Published in Heber ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 18 newspapers that have been published in the area around Heber.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of Heber, there are papers which were published within 34 miles [54.7 km]. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for Heber.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Heber:
- Websites specific to Arizona
- Pages specific to Navajo County
- Genealogy information for nearby counties
- Coconino County
- Gila County
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Arizona
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Arizona
Cemeteries Near Heber ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Heber.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Heber covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Heber Cemetery
- Overgaard Baby Cemetery
- Baca Family Cemetery
- Stott, Scott & Wilson Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Stott, Scott & Wilson Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Stott, Scott & Wilson Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Stott, Scott & Wilson Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the southwest of Heber.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Stott, Scott & Wilson Cemetery
- Clay Springs Cemetery
- Pinedale Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Pinedale Cemetery
- Pinedale Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the east of Heber.
- Pinedale Cemetery has also been known as:
- Pinedale City Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pinedale Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2154179<4>
- Continue List ...
- Q Ranch Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Q Ranch Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Q Ranch Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Q Ranch Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the southwest of Heber.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Q Ranch Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2303052<4>
- Frost Family Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Frost Family Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Frost Family Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Frost Family Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the east of Heber.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Frost Family Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2292427<4>
- Burton Cemetery
- Reed S. Hatch Memorial Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Reed S. Hatch Memorial Cemetery
- Reed S. Hatch Memorial Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the east of Heber.
- Reed S. Hatch Memorial Cemetery has also been known as:
- Reed Hatch Memorial Cemetery
- Taylor Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Reed S. Hatch Memorial Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #57127<4>
- Young Cemetery
- Shumway Pioneer Cemetery
- R.V. Mike Ramsay Memorial Cemetery
Nearby Communities in 1895 ...
We've built the following list with information that came from an Atlas published by Rand McNally in 1895. The Atlas had details such as the population of the community (which appears to have come from the 1890 Census) and whether there was a post office and/or railroad service available. We also indicate if the community no longer exists and is now historic.<6>
While we didn't find Heber in the Atlas, the following 1895 communities would have been found near the current location of Heber.
- Snowflake [Navajo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Snowflake
- Snowflake [Navajo County] lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the east of Heber
- According to the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, the estimated population in 1895: 324 people
- Estimated population in 2019: 5,995 people
- From the 1895 Atlas, Snowflake had a post office and no railroad service
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Snowflake
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Snowflake<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Heber. See our List of 1890's Communities around Heber.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Arizona
About Navajo County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Heber. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Navajo County: www.co.navajo.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Heber) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Heber. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Heber
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Heber. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 34.4299, Longitude: -110.5960
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<6>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Heber, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|