Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Ak Komelik, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Ak Komelik and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Ak Komelik:
- 31.717859, -112.201241
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Ak Komelik
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Pima County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Pima County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Ak Komelik ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Allen [Pima County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Allen
- Allen [Pima County] was located 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the north of Ak Komelik
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Allen. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Cowlic [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cowlic
- Cowlic [Pima County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the northeast of Ak Komelik
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cowlic
- Lukeville [Pima County]
- Peach Pu [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Peach Pu
- Peach Pu [Pima County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the north of Ak Komelik
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Peach Pu have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Peach Pu
- Sells [Pima County]
- Sweetwater [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sweetwater
- Sweetwater [Pima County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the northwest of Ak Komelik
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sweetwater have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sweetwater
How Far From Ak Komelik to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Ak Komelik to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Ak Komelik and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Tucson, which is the Seat of Pima County and lies 82 miles [132 km]<1> to the east northeast. If you could drive a straight line from Ak Komelik to Tucson, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 5 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of three days.
- Phoenix, which is the State Capital of Arizona, lies 119 miles [191.5 km] to the north (N). Driving would take about two hours, a buggy would take 5 days and walking would take 7 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,029 miles [3,265.4 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 4 days, a buggy would take 80 days and walking would take 116 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,555 miles [12,158.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 8,319 miles [13,388.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 6,249 miles [10,056.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Arizona
About Pima County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Ak Komelik. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Pima County: www.co.pima.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Ak Komelik) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ak Komelik. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.7179, Longitude: -112.2012 In this case, the coordinates for Ak Komelik have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Ak Komelik to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 330.977 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 329.556 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.246 degrees.||