Curious and Interesting Names Near Morecambe ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Elk Point
- Hairy Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hairy Hill
- Hairy Hill lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the west of Morecambe
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hairy Hill
- Horseshoe Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Horseshoe Bay
- Horseshoe Bay lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<1> to the north of Morecambe
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Horseshoe Bay came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Horseshoe Bay
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Owlseye
- Owlseye lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the north of Morecambe
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Owlseye came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Owlseye
- Saddle Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saddle Lake
- Saddle Lake lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the north of Morecambe
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Saddle Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saddle Lake
- Two Hills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Two Hills
- Two Hills lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the west of Morecambe
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Two Hills
How Far From Morecambe to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Morecambe to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Morecambe and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 84 miles [135.2 km]<1> to the west (W). If you could drive a straight line from Morecambe to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 5 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of three days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,679 miles [2,702.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 66 days and walking would take 96 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,201 miles [9,979.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,968 miles [11,213.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,042 miles [8,114.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Morecambe. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Morecambe) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Morecambe. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from MorecambeOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Morecambe. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.6667, Longitude: -111.4667 |
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Morecambe to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.18 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.909 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.778 degrees.||