Communities Also Named Mayton ...
We have found four communities that share the name Mayton.
Within Alberta, the name Mayton is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another four communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Miller County
- This Mayton is located in Miller County and lies 1,619 miles [2,605.5 km]<1> to the southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mayton
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Miller County community of Mayton.
- Washington County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Kansas community of Mayton [Washington County].
- Rankin County
- This Mayton is located in Rankin County and lies 1,819 miles [2,927.4 km]<1> to the southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mayton
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Rankin County community of Mayton.
- West Virginia
- Webster County
- This community is historic<3> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the West Virginia community of Mayton [Webster County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Mayton ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Acme
- Acme lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the southeast of Mayton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Acme
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dickson came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dickson
- Dickson lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the northwest of Mayton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dickson
- Eagle Hill
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Eagle Hill came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eagle Hill
- Eagle Hill lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the west of Mayton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eagle Hill
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Olds came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Olds
- Olds lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the west of Mayton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Olds
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Olds<5>
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Red Deer
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Springbrook
- Springbrook lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the north of Mayton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Springbrook
- Spruce View
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunnyslope
- Sunnyslope lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the southeast of Mayton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunnyslope
- Three Hills
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Three Hills came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Three Hills
- Three Hills lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the southeast of Mayton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Three Hills
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Three Hills<5>
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Mayton. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- George Trenholm Allen (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born on Monday July 27, 1914 and died in Red Deer (Alberta) on Monday March 27, 2000 at the age of 85. He is buried at Alto Reste Cemetery (Alberta).
- Red Deer is located 29 miles [46.7 km] to the north of Mayton.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: George Trenholm Allen<6>
- Oscar Ingolfur 'Ossie' Asmundson (Professional hockey)
- Gary Ralph Buck (Musician)
- Musician. He was born on Thursday March 21, 1940 and died in Didsbury (Alberta) on Wednesday October 15, 2003 at the age of 63. He is buried at Didsbury Cemetery (Alberta).
- Didsbury is located 20 miles [32.2 km] to the southwest of Mayton.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Gary Ralph Buck<6>
How Far From Mayton to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Mayton to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic community of Mayton once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Mayton and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 118 miles [189.9 km]<1> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Mayton to Edmonton, with an average speed<7>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 7 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 5 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,769 miles [2,846.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 101 days.
- The shortest distance<8> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,357 miles [10,230.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,124 miles [11,465 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<10>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,200 miles [8,368.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<11>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Mayton) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Mayton. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.8376, Longitude: -113.7373
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Mayton could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Mayton, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<7>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<8>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Mayton to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.994 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.808 degrees.|
|<11>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.613 degrees.||