Curious and Interesting Names Near Markerville ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Birchcliff
- Birchcliff lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the north of Markerville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Birchcliff came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Birchcliff
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Condor
- Condor lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Markerville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Condor
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dickson
- Dickson lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the southwest of Markerville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dickson came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dickson
- Half Moon Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Half Moon Bay
- Half Moon Bay lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the north of Markerville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Half Moon Bay
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Raven
- Raven lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the southwest of Markerville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Raven came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Raven
- Red Deer
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Springbrook
- Springbrook lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the east of Markerville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Springbrook
- Spruce View
- Sunbreaker Cove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunbreaker Cove
- Sunbreaker Cove lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the north of Markerville
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sunbreaker Cove came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunbreaker Cove
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Markerville. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- George Trenholm Allen (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born on Monday July 27, 1914 and died in Red Deer (Alberta) on Monday March 27, 2000 at the age of 85. He is buried at Alto Reste Cemetery (Alberta).
- Red Deer is located 18 miles [29 km] to the east of Markerville.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: George Trenholm Allen<4>
- Oscar Ingolfur 'Ossie' Asmundson (Professional hockey)
How Far From Markerville to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Markerville to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Markerville and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 99 miles [159.3 km]<1> to the north northeast (NNE). If you could drive a straight line from Markerville to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 6 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take three full days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,789 miles [2,879.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 102 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,345 miles [10,211.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,111 miles [11,444 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,194 miles [8,358.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Markerville. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Markerville) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Markerville. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from MarkervilleOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Markerville. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.1741, Longitude: -114.2232 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Markerville to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.391 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.287 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.879 degrees.||