Curious and Interesting Names Near Leyland ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Entrance came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Entrance
- Entrance lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Leyland
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Entrance
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Jasper came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jasper
- Jasper lies 33 miles [53.1 km]<2> to the west of Leyland
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jasper
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Jasper<3>
- Mountain Park - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Mountain Park. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mountain Park
- Mountain Park was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the south of Leyland
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pocahontas came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pocahontas
- Pocahontas lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Leyland
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pocahontas
How Far From Leyland to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Leyland to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Leyland and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 161 miles [259.1 km]<2> to the east northeast (ENE). If you could drive a straight line from Leyland to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 10 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,918 miles [3,086.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 75 days and walking would take 109 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,344 miles [10,209.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,108 miles [11,439.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,225 miles [8,408.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Leyland. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Leyland) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Leyland. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.0333, Longitude: -117.3167
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Leyland to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 336.917 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 338.221 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 323.814 degrees.||