Below is our collection of tidbits, odds 'n ends for Kilsyth.
This page contains two sections:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Kilsyth ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
Fawcett - 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the Southeast of Kilsyth [Map]
Flatbush - 5 miles [8 km] to the North [Map]
Freedom - 31 miles [49.9 km] to the South [Map]
Hondo - 31 miles [49.9 km] to the North [Map]
Island Lake - 28 miles [45.1 km] to the Northeast [Map]
Larkspur - 19 miles [30.6 km] to the Southeast [Map]
Sunset Beach - 26 miles [41.8 km] to the East [Map]
Whispering Hills - 26 miles [41.8 km] to the Northeast [Map]
White Gull - 26 miles [41.8 km] to the Northeast [Map]
How Far From Kilsyth to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Kilsyth to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Kilsyth and extending to:
- Edmonton [Map], which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 77 miles [123.9 km] to the South Southeast (SSE). If you could drive a straight line from Kilsyth to Edmonton, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 5 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of three days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON [Map]) is 1,793 miles [2,885.6 km] to the East (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 102 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock [Map]) is 6,192 miles [9,965.1 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba [Map]) is 6,957 miles [11,196.2 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican [Map]) is 5,061 miles [8,144.9 km] and it lies to the Northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Kilsyth. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Kilsyth) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Kilsyth. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Kilsyth
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Kilsyth. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 54.6096, Longitude: -114.1538 [Map].
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Kilsyth to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.35 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.437 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.407 degrees.|