Communities Also Named Janet ...
We have found one communities that share the name Janet.
Within Alberta, the name Janet is unique.
Beyond Alberta, there is another community also named Janet in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Wharton County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Texas community of Janet [Wharton County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Janet ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Coral Springs (6 miles [9.7 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coral Springs
- Coral Springs lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the northwest of Janet
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coral Springs
- Deer Run (8 miles [12.9 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Deer Run
- Deer Run lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the southwest of Janet
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Deer Run
- Forest Lawn (4 miles [6.4 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forest Lawn
- Forest Lawn lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the west of Janet
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Forest Lawn came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forest Lawn
- Haysboro (9 miles [14.5 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Haysboro
- Haysboro lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the west of Janet
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Haysboro
- Highwood (10 miles [16.1 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Highwood
- Highwood lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the northwest of Janet
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Highwood
- Signal Hill (13 miles [20.9 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Signal Hill
- Signal Hill lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the west of Janet
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Signal Hill
- Sunnyside (9 miles [14.5 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunnyside
- Sunnyside lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the west of Janet
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunnyside
- Two Guns (13 miles [20.9 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Two Guns
- Two Guns lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the west of Janet
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Two Guns
- Vista Heights (7 miles [11.3 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Vista Heights
- Vista Heights lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the northwest of Janet
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vista Heights
How Far From Janet to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Janet to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Janet and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 175 miles [281.6 km]<2> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Janet to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 10 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,776 miles [2,858.2 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 101 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,410 miles [10,315.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,177 miles [11,550.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,248 miles [8,445.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Notable Births & Deaths for Janet
Search for a Alberta Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Janet could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Janet) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Janet. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from JanetOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Janet. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.0167, Longitude: -113.8667 |
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Janet to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.083 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.843 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.828 degrees.||