Communities Also Named Islay ...
We have found three communities that share the name Islay.
Within Alberta, the name Islay is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in Canada and the United States. Of these three communities, one is located in Canada and the other two communities are located in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- This Islay lies 1,547 miles [2,489.7 km]<1> to the east.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Islay
- South Carolina
- Marlboro County
- This community is historic<2> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the South Carolina community of Islay [Marlboro County].
- Laramie County
- This Islay is located in Laramie County and lies 870 miles [1,400.1 km]<1> to the south southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Islay
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Laramie County community of Islay.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Islay ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blackfoot
- Blackfoot lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Islay
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blackfoot
- Elk Point
- Frog Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Frog Lake
- Frog Lake lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the north of Islay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Frog Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Frog Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greenstreet
- Greenstreet lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the east of Islay
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenstreet
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Lone Rock
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lone Rock
- Lone Rock lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<1> to the southeast of Islay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lone Rock came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lone Rock
- Paradise Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paradise Valley
- Paradise Valley lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the south of Islay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Paradise Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paradise Valley
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Islay. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- William Ernest 'Ernie' Kenny (Professional hockey)
How Far From Islay to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Islay to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Islay and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 122 miles [196.3 km]<1> to the west (W). If you could drive a straight line from Islay to Edmonton, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 7 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 5 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,639 miles [2,637.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 64 days and walking would take 94 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,200 miles [9,977.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,968 miles [11,213.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,032 miles [8,098.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Islay. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Islay) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Islay. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from IslayOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Islay. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.3935, Longitude: -110.5402 |
|<2>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Islay, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Islay to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.437 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.046 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.216 degrees.||